Has anyone had FSA 21N08 reflash done yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Until I get some specifics on what the reprograms do, I'm holding off. Trading start-up clicking for what sounds like a power neuter job and a "shudder" is nuts. These guys are simply trying to Band-Aid a crap design. If Ford was serious about this they would offer customers compensation as Volkswagen did. Plenty of better engineered options out there.
Here's the thing though, we are just now starting to see the likes of companies like Toyota introduce V6TT designs. From a power/efficiency perspective, there really hasn't been a good competitor, that's why I bought this thing. Just wish the part quality and manufacturing was better. Those two things seem like they are going to tarnish the image.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y'all better read that letter again. As I read it (not saying I'm right), If you DON'T do the updates, I think Ford will not cover it in the future. MORE importantly, do it or not, it says they will only cover repairs until JAN 1, 2023.

It says you must do 21B10. That kicks in 21N03 which allows either the PCM to be returned to the original if you get shutter and a "prorated ONE TIME repair and coverage will EXPIRE on Jan 1, 2023".

I haven't called my dealer yet to understand better. I might do it and let the chips fall where they may. I WILL NOT do the cam phaser repair. I'll dump it first, which will be done, unfortunately, sooner rather than later at this point. I may not even do 21B10. Not sure yet.

I hope Ford reads all this because I was thinking next year or two about maybe getting a Aviator. Sorry, not now. Sale lost, not that anyone really cares anymore.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I talked to Ford customer service today. From what I have gathered my dealership performed 21B10 on October 1st (NOT 21N08 which is supposed to be a factory roll back). From what the rep told me 21B10 needed to be done before 21N08 even though I have a FSA for 21N08. :rolleyes:

So, I have an appointment no November 15th to have 21N08 performed. This is it Ford, this is your last damn chance to remedy this, my vehicle will now have been to the dealership 7 different times in 2 years for various things that weren't normal maintenance!

Sips-FX4

Reaction score
Had my cam phasers done back in July. Cam phaser rattle back and check engine light on. Took it to dealer said it was cam phaser issue again. Did the re program- to no avail- the engine light back on. Now they say it needs another round of cam phasers. Dealer called and said bill would be $1200. I had the original work done under warranty 54k miles. I now have 85k miles. So i guess every 30k miles i am looking at $1200 bill.....crazy this is not covered under warranty!!!

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had my cam phasers done back in July. Cam phaser rattle back and check engine light on. Took it to dealer said it was cam phaser issue again. Did the re program- to no avail- the engine light back on. Now they say it needs another round of cam phasers. Dealer called and said bill would be $1200. I had the original work done under warranty 54k miles. I now have 85k miles. So i guess every 30k miles i am looking at $1200 bill.....crazy this is not covered under warranty!!!
I'm honestly surprised you got out of there for under $1200. I would have thought that repair had been in the $3000 range

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y'all better read that letter again. As I read it (not saying I'm right), If you DON'T do the updates, I think Ford will not cover it in the future. MORE importantly, do it or not, it says they will only cover repairs until JAN 1, 2023.

It says you must do 21B10. That kicks in 21N03 which allows either the PCM to be returned to the original if you get shutter and a "prorated ONE TIME repair and coverage will EXPIRE on Jan 1, 2023".

I haven't called my dealer yet to understand better. I might do it and let the chips fall where they may. I WILL NOT do the cam phaser repair. I'll dump it first, which will be done, unfortunately, sooner rather than later at this point. I may not even do 21B10. Not sure yet.

I hope Ford reads all this because I was thinking next year or two about maybe getting a Aviator. Sorry, not now. Sale lost, not that anyone really cares anymore.
You probably are correct. It's seems pretty clear from your quoted statements that FMC is threading the needle on this glaring design issue and trying to minimize financial damage to the company.

I'm beginning to also believe I was fed a line of bull about the parts used for my cam phasers and timing chains, etc. repair being of "new design". I have had no luck getting in touch with anyone from FMC or other reliable sources that can validate this. Were it true, one would think FMC would be openly advertising the changes. Of course, it could be that it's still just part of the EcoBust experiment and their not sure if it will resolve the issue :rolleyes:.

I've already asked earlier in the thread if anyone out there has obtained detailed info about the PCM re-flashes (what specifically do they change) or about replacement VCT parts being a revised design... and not seen any replies. Maybe they've been covered in another thread? If anyone knows where, please share.

Jack RJ

Reaction score
I scheduled the initial step of the Cam Phaser Reprogramming about three weeks ago. At the time I scheduled service, I clarified that whether or not my vehicle had experienced a rattle at startup, that a reprogramming would be done. It was also discussed that the reprogramming could result in a shudder in the drive train which would require further work.

I took my Expedition in for the scheduled appointment this morning and was informed by the service writer that the dealership would only reprogram the vehicle if I was already experiencing the rattle noise. I mentioned that in the prior conversations with their service department, that I was told that the reprogramming would be done whether the rattle had started occurring or not. I also mentioned that I had seen a Ford Tech discuss that the programming would be one version if the rattle was not occurring, and a different version if the rattle was occurring. The service writer continued to insist that the dealership would not do the reprogramming unless the rattle was occurring. To then add to the confusion, the service writer then agreed to take my vehicle into the shop. My obvious response was, "What is the point of doing a service if you are insisting you are not doing the reprogramming?", and then left the dealership.

I called three other local dealerships, two of which said they would do the reprogramming even if the rattle had not occurred yet. The third dealership said they would not do the reprograming unless the rattle was occurring. So now I am scheduled with a dealer who appears to be making an honest attempt to carry out the Custome Satisfaction Program per Ford. The advantage of this is that supposedly the vehicle will be covered for 100% of the cam phaser repair through 79,900 miles (if I recall the mileage), and some date which I am not sure about.

Ford Corporate & Ford Dealers have mismanaged this "Customer Satisfaction Program", with declining satisfaction on my part, while apparently trying to minimize the damage to Ford.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The situation is really bad with Ford now. They only pay the dealership 75-80% of the labor cost, and guess what, the technicians are the ones who have to cover the difference. So they basically work 15 hours but get paid only 10 hours. We are talking about millions of trucks and SUVs!

Plus, Ford decided to raise the MSRP and the invoice price. They noticed that people are still buying with all these markups, so they raised the MSRP. Of course the dealerships aren’t happy about that.

I am not sure what will happen next, but the supply chain issues are getting real bad, and omicron hasn’t hit hard yet.

m3bs

Reaction score
I had 21B10 done last week on my '19. Mine had only recently started rattling on startup. So far, the results are positive. Less rattle on startup, and no adverse effects so far. Fingers crossed....