Has anyone seen this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It may be a cloned key that relies on an internal battery. When the battery dies, the key can't start the car. Cloned keys are what the chain hardware stores sell. Anyone know?

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After now doing it multiple times with multiple ford vehicles, forscan is the way to go. Pretty easy, just need some patience.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me ask the very obvious question......what is there to prevent some guy buying this kit, busting out a window, gaining entry, unlocking the doors and installing this key and driving away?

Am I missing something, a good possibility I know??

Other than the theft thing, it would have been real nice to have at 4PM in the Dollywood parking lot last August when I realized that my key had flown to parts unknown!

jeff

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to imagine that you need one of the original keys in order to set this thing up.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford vehicles can retain up to 8 keys in active memory. You can do it yourself, for the price of key, but must have 2 active keys. A locksmith, dealer or forscan can manually add a new key, with only 1 original. It seems this device is for people, that lost the spare and have only 1. I had a local locksmith cut and program one for $50. This item is almost double and not worth it.

Michael McC

Reaction score
So this might be a reason for me to get Forscan, but I know little about it. I have a 2016 Expedition, and my daughter a 2013 F150. She lost a key (transponder with remote but no remote start). I have been researching the cheapest way to get a new one and program it. Looks like a good key on EBay is about $50.

So, if I get Forscan, can I program a new key with one original key? Will the same Foscan product work for both vehicles? Which product do I buy? I would be using an iPhone or other Apple product. Is a subscription required?

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this might be a reason for me to get Forscan, but I know little about it. I have a 2016 Expedition, and my daughter a 2013 F150. She lost a key (transponder with remote but no remote start). I have been researching the cheapest way to get a new one and program it. Looks like a good key on EBay is about $50.

So, if I get Forscan, can I program a new key with one original key? Will the same Foscan product work for both vehicles? Which product do I buy? I would be using an iPhone or other Apple product. Is a subscription required?
There's a large thread here on forscan. But you will need windows, or I ran boot camp on my mac book and installed windows on a partition. The forscan software will work on multiple vehicles. Also on your 2016 you can unlock remote start, if you dont alrdy have it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prices vary when making extra keys and hardware stores lead you to think you are getting an original type chipped key when actually it's only a clone.