Has buying a car really changed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the last 4-6 weeks or so I've been looking for an Expedition EL and considering a Lincoln Navigator L. I have had 2 dealers now simply let me walk. Won't negotiate at all, didn't even have any interest in negotiating. The last one just this week, I offered asking price, but wanted them to get me out the door for that price. A difference of about $1500. Wouldn't budge...

Is this common these days?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
These are hot cars right now and they are selling well. How else would dealers get away with padding the list prices? I was amazed at their tactics here on Long Island -- all sorts of illegal stuff, from no price stickers on cars to $1,500 registration fees to no accepting to take cash.

Yes, you're not alone at noticing this stuff. I usually wait until they're a year or two old and then buy them from a fleet. No nonsense then and I save half.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in PA - I looked at a 2016 EL - with all kinds of paint issues, bubbling, scratches, etc. Interestingly enough the vehicle is still for sale and they now are reducing the price. The one this week I was trying to make a deal on was a 2012 - Navigator L. We originally looked at a 2015 that is also still on the lot and they are reducing the price. They seem to be 'sorta' selling here, but not exactly flying off the lots. There are quite a few to choose from within a 100 mile radius as well, however we are looking for specific things. Yeah, some of the dealers add on hundreds for dealers fees and tags... What's that???

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep looking, the dealer should play by your rules. If they won’t negotiate they won’t sell period. Always walk if they aren’t giving you what you want and leave your phone number..... maybe they’ll change their tune. Here in New York it isn’t like that....they negotiate.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep looking, the dealer should play by your rules. If they won’t negotiate they won’t sell period. Always walk if they aren’t giving you what you want and leave your phone number..... maybe they’ll change their tune. Here in New York it isn’t like that....they negotiate.

I'm baffled... I've never seen dealers act this way...

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive down to Baltimore....I bought my '17 w/ no trade...and paid under 55K OTD including the over $3,000 in sales tax....sticker was somewhere around 66k.

jeff

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its reasons like this Carmax prospers, and whether or not you like their business model, they are very successful at it. Last years revenue was over $12B with $664M net income. Its hard to believe they were a side project spin up of now-defunct Circuit City.

2012-2017 Expeditions - 184 nationwide. 2012-2017 Navigators - 34 nationwide. If you can't find the perfect one at a price you can live with, good luck.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive down to Baltimore....I bought my '17 w/ no trade...and paid under 55K OTD including the over $3,000 in sales tax....sticker was somewhere around 66k.

jeff

I think buying new is different. I got $10K off my Explorer in 04 when I bought it. Although, I also got about $5K off my Excursion when I bought it 5 years ago.

Its reasons like this Carmax prospers, and whether or not you like their business model, they are very successful at it. Last years revenue was over $12B with $664M net income. Its hard to believe they were a side project spin up of now-defunct Circuit City.

2012-2017 Expeditions - 184 nationwide. 2012-2017 Navigators - 34 nationwide. If you can't find the perfect one at a price you can live with, good luck.

I didn't even think of CarMax and just browsed through some of the local listings. The prices with the mileage seem high compared to what I've been looking at, perhaps that's why they are successful and making $... :) People don't want to haggle or research and just pay the asking price... The "local" listings I seen don't have some of the options we are looking for as well. :\

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The internet has really changed the buying process. Dealers know that you have access to pricing locally, regionally and nationally. Since you walked in the door, they ASSUME you looked around and picked their dealership based on their internet prices. I have found with the last 3 cars I've bought since 2011 there's less negotiation room, but better starting prices.

In 2011 and 2014,i bought cars with Truecar pricing in hand, other dealership internet pricing and my own financing rates when I walked in the door. Every time, the dealer matched or beat the price and financing I walked in with. My 2017 Expy was already advertised at the best price I could find, so I could only come in with financing and the dealer beat that.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The internet has really changed the buying process. Dealers know that you have access to pricing locally, regionally and nationally. Since you walked in the door, they ASSUME you looked around and picked their dealership based on their internet prices. I have found with the last 3 cars I've bought since 2011 there's less negotiation room, but better starting prices.

In 2011 and 2014,i bought cars with Truecar pricing in hand, other dealership internet pricing and my own financing rates when I walked in the door. Every time, the dealer matched or beat the price and financing I walked in with. My 2017 Expy was already advertised at the best price I could find, so I could only come in with financing and the dealer beat that.

The issue I have with this, it seems like all these sites these days simply base the price on what other's paid. Just because someone else was foolish and paid too much, why is that affecting my price? I guess there is a butt for every seat huh??? :\ A few years ago the Internet used to help you buy a car with price, etc. Now it seems like the dealers are dictating the price and holding you over the barrel with it... :\

What am I missing with this TruCar stuff? To me, it just looks like another listing site where you can get a couple hundred $ coupon?