Has buying a car really changed???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for used Carguru will help a ton.

New , you are not likely to find any discounts at the current time. The Navs are sitting less than 9 days on the lot, the Expys are like the mid to high teens in number of days. The industry standard is like 54 days. So these are generally selling with no "help" aka discounts or incentives. The local dealer here is selling them at dealer invoice, with no incentives past that, where as a F150 even with the plants shut down can be found with $13k worth of incentives due to the new Ram and Silverados.
Basically the Ford Raptor is the same way, they never sit on the lot for much if any days.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for used Carguru will help a ton.

New , you are not likely to find any discounts at the current time. The Navs are sitting less than 9 days on the lot, the Expys are like the mid to high teens in number of days. The industry standard is like 54 days. So these are generally selling with no "help" aka discounts or incentives. The local dealer here is selling them at dealer invoice, with no incentives past that, where as a F150 even with the plants shut down can be found with $13k worth of incentives due to the new Ram and Silverados.
Basically the Ford Raptor is the same way, they never sit on the lot for much if any days.
yep around here they move faster than roaches with the lights on..
i have been searching for plat, max 4wd max tow etc. with all options except the headrest video stuff, even 300 mile search brings up zilch,
but i am in no hurry

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How??? Same with TruCar - I don't see how these help? Am I missing something? They just seem like other sites to list cars for sale?

Cargurus software works with most, but not all, new/used dealers listing. It searches inventory regularly and documents listed price changes, which is helpful. Dealers often lower a price and send it back up. You knowing where it was listed last week or last month gives you an idea of where, at minimum, you need to start your negotiating downwards.

For example, todays dealership price is $20K. Cargurus tells you last week it was $17K. Knowing this, you wouldn't walk in and offer $18,500, would you?

One main advantage I've found with Cargurus is it tells you how long the vehicle has been on the lot (days in inventory) as well as how long its been listed on Cargurus. This helps when John Doe Ford transfers his used ageing used inventory to John Doe Dodge, then John Doe Nissan. So a vehicle that has bounced around like this will show 10 days in stock, but 150 days on Cargurus.

With medium to larger sized dealers where 'floor plan financing' is used to build inventory, 90 days is the upper edge of where they want to keep vehicles in stock. Cargurus allows you to search/sort by 'oldest listings first'. So when the salesperson or manager gives you the old "we just got her in the other day", you can call BS and let them know you have done your due diligence and are ready to buy.

Example: Two fairly identical trucks parked side by side. Nearly equal options, mileage, condition, and price. One has been on the lot for 12 days, the other 88 days. Knowing inventory age, you now realize the dealer is more likely to move the price on the older unit.

TruCar I've personally found no value with, but I'm sure there are aspects of it that others have found useful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's helpful... I will start digging into this a bit a more... I seen some of this, "days listed" on Edmunds - it also shows some price changes, etc.

Just seems like so much of this, these days is based on "market value"... Apparently buying a car is like buying a house or lobster now... :)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the last 4-6 weeks or so I've been looking for an Expedition EL and considering a Lincoln Navigator L. I have had 2 dealers now simply let me walk. Won't negotiate at all, didn't even have any interest in negotiating. The last one just this week, I offered asking price, but wanted them to get me out the door for that price. A difference of about $1500. Wouldn't budge...

Is this common these days?

Go craigslist.

They budge. A lot.

Dealers can be more problematic

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in PA - I looked at a 2016 EL - with all kinds of paint issues, bubbling, scratches, etc. Interestingly enough the vehicle is still for sale and they now are reducing the price. The one this week I was trying to make a deal on was a 2012 - Navigator L. We originally looked at a 2015 that is also still on the lot and they are reducing the price. They seem to be 'sorta' selling here, but not exactly flying off the lots. There are quite a few to choose from within a 100 mile radius as well, however we are looking for specific things. Yeah, some of the dealers add on hundreds for dealers fees and tags... What's that???

I just got a 2012 Gator L for ~$12.5k from a limo company last month.

Screw dealers. Look for limo companies on craigslist, a lot have been trading up to facelift 15+ or new 2018 and selling off their previous ones.

When designs change, fleets replace non-problem vehicles en masse.

DogDad

Reaction score
Surprised you couldn’t negotiate! Your offer was definitely tilted in their favor if you ask me. Fortunately I qualify for X plan with Ford and GM Supplier Discount for GM so I really never negotiate. I always get a good deal without the hassle, though sometimes better deals can be made. If you find the right dealer your offer should be snapped up quickly.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surprised you couldn’t negotiate! Your offer was definitely tilted in their favor if you ask me. Fortunately I qualify for X plan with Ford and GM Supplier Discount for GM so I really never negotiate. I always get a good deal without the hassle, though sometimes better deals can be made. If you find the right dealer your offer should be snapped up quickly.

Yup, it's unbelievable... I was almost ready to pay the asking price of the Lincoln and it sold. On that one the dealer told me before I even came to the lot they don't negotiate...

I'm getting rather fed up, last week one came up that was exactly what we were looking for, miles were a little high, loaded the family in the explorer drove an hour to go look at it and it was horrible. Scratches and gouges on the front bumper, HUGE door ding on the passenger door and the rear tailgate had so much paint bubbling it looked like someone baked it, and here's the kicker... The rear bumper, literally had a hole in passenger side corner probably 3" - 5" round, like something rubbed all the way through. Like you could see through it! I would expect this perhaps if this was way below market value... Nope, it was/is $1700 above value according to carguru (thanks for pointing me to that BTW). The guy copied my license, after asking me if I wanted to take it for a test drive... No, I'll just buy the car without ever even starting it... I didn't even open the doors and look inside, I just handed him the keys back and told him I wasn't going to waste his time. Even though he wasted plenty of mine. Of course the pictures conveniently didn't show any of this...

Then there is the 2015 we have been keeping our eye on that we almost bought previously. They have been $3000 + over the high end of the market value, these trucks are all being reduced around me, in fact this one was already reduced about $1500. I offered them $3000 less (in market range) and they wouldn't take it. This truck has been sitting on the lot for 90 days now, give or take. I told them I'd be down in the morning, Saturday, to sign papers, end of month, end of quarter... Nope... I guess they'd rather hold it hostage than sell it. Didn't even try to counter offer...

Another one came up for sale on Saturday, that we are interested in. We'll see how this goes...

The saga continues...

mrlynn

Reaction score
Daughter's FIL in VA just bought a Toyota 4Runner from Carvana. He said it was great: got the price he was looking for, and they bring the car to YOU. Never need to leave home. You drive it for a while, and if you don't like it, they come and take it back.

Apparently, you tell them what you're looking for, and they find it for you: wave of the future, methinks.

/Mr Lynn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni