HD cooling upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon 15el

Reaction score
Hello all, we purchased a certified preowned 2015 expedition el in July of this year. We absolutely love it! One thing that I was reserved about while looking at it was it's lack of HD towing kit. We informed our salesman of our intent to purchase a larger travel trailer. Guessing we would end up around 7500 lbs, 900 lbs over current tow rating. Our salesman asurred me that it could be added later. "As simple as a new radiator and auxilary trans cooler. We have the 3.73 rear end and they installed our brake controller as we were on a trip at time of purchase. All we are missing is the radiator and cooler. We just purchased a 30 foot trailer that weighs 6100 dry and 7500 fully loaded. We called our local ford dealers for estimates on install of hd components. They all informed me it was not possible and to call the dealer i purchased from (400 miles away). They have been "looking into it" for a week now. We took the trailer (lightly loaded) on a 300 mile round trip journey. Guestimating 6600lbs. The expedition did amazing! It has all the power we needed and my trans temp averaged 210 never exceeding 225. My concern is whe n we decide to travel on the other side of the mountains. I'm very mechanically inclined and interested in any info any of you might have, primarily parts list of components, hoses, brackets etc.
Thanks in advance!
Jon.

20180830_165915_1535673601881_1535673846778.jpeg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I as told by my dealer that the mechanical load leveling shocks could not be added to my 15 expedition. They were wrong, it’s a simple a buying the new struts and springs and performing a direct swap out. I have very little faith in service advisors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jon 15el

Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I was able to find radiator and cooler for HD models. What i havent found is solid info on proccess, success stories. Ford parts rep stated that the install could be more complicated. Different hoses , lines, fans, core support etc.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Thank you for the information! I was able to find radiator and cooler for HD models. What i havent found is solid info on proccess, success stories. Ford parts rep stated that the install could be more complicated. Different hoses , lines, fans, core support etc.
All I needed to see was "core support." Find another Ford parts rep. The one you're talking to is a moron or trying to steal money from you.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too plan on doing this.
The radiator should be a straight swap the lines for the cooler I have not gotten a chance to look into yet.
Hopefully it is not too complicated.
When I first purchased I thought the standard tow package had a smaller cooler and one would just swap in a bigger one. But once I started looking there is no cooler at all for the standard package.

OP
OP
J

Jon 15el

Reaction score
I too plan on doing this.
The radiator should be a straight swap the lines for the cooler I have not gotten a chance to look into yet.
Hopefully it is not too complicated.
When I first purchased I thought the standard tow package had a smaller cooler and one would just swap in a bigger one. But once I started looking there is no cooler at all for the standard package.