Headers? Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by donl, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Yes I have an aftermarket radiator. But my fans have been mounted on an all aluminum radiator as well as a OE replacement.

I’d be curious to see pics of your radiator.

2. donl

donl Full Access Members

Taken from under vehicle; not the best but you can figure it out.

radiator1.jpg

radiator2.jpg

radiator3.jpg

3. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Interesting. The transmission hard lines look legit but that hose clamp does not look like a typical factory clamp.

I’m confused. Someone put in a bunch of effort to make a different radiator work.

4. donl

donl Full Access Members

Tom, I am also confused as is my tech. The fitment and connection issues with the Gibson headers that Gibson has never seen before and the not fitment of a "direct fit" Flex A Lite fan kit have us scratching our heads.

I am pretty dang sure that the radiator was installed at the factory. I purchased the vehicle in late '03 with less than 4K miles logged. The vehicle had been driven for a few months by the dealership sales managers wife and she fount it too big and cumbersome to her liking so the put it on display for sale out in front of the dealership. At the time, I was driving a two year old Explorer that needed some work and when I took the Explorer in for the work, I saw the Expy, we made deal and I bought it.

The Expy was badged as a "Touring Edition" which, to me and at the time meant nothing more than some trim differences. A small Touring Edition badge on the lower left corner of the tail gate and Touring Edition embossed on the driver and passenger seat just below the head rest. I have never seen another like it. We have run the VIN and nothing strange shows up. However, I am now wondering if it is a bit of a bastard Expy since we are having issues that have not been heretofore encountered on an XLT.

Since this is an Expy forum, I wonder if there is an Expy scholar on the forum that might know something about this vehicle.