Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone here install shorty headers on there 5.4 on there own? I was looking at the 200$ headers on ebay and it looks like a direct fit. Its trying to extract any broken bolts that worry me. I asked a exhaust shop how much they would charge and they said 400$ a side.

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to do some. Solismo can tell you about it. HAven't gotten around to it yet.

OP
OP
superexpy

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ones I am looking at even have the EGR port. I know people say the shortys wont help with performance but id think they would be better then nothing and should help sense I am supercharged.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have Gibson headers, I wouldn't spend the money again but with broken bolts I pulled the trigger.
With the charger I thinnk it would help ,Tom should know best.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone here install shorty headers on there 5.4 on there own? I was looking at the 200$ headers on ebay and it looks like a direct fit. Its trying to extract any broken bolts that worry me. I asked a exhaust shop how much they would charge and they said 400$ a side.

Thats a reasonable price I think. My dad paid about $500 for one side of his truck. If bolts break off inside the head, you are going to need a welder.

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Pacesetter Long tube headers for f-150. The install was nice easy to get to all the bolts didn't even remove inner fender on install. I did have to move the transmission dipstick and the starter cables had to be moved to the outside of the frame but that's was easy. Now as far as broken bolts. Spray the bolts every day for a week with some PB blaster or Kroil. Then remove if one does happen to break that's not bad either with a good easy out kit. Start by getting a flat surface on broken bolt then center punch the bolt use the smallest ease out first then move up in size if need be. You just dont want the drill to walk on you and into the head. If take you're time its not bad. The motor I pulled out had 230,000 miles and I soaked the bolts for a week and none of them broke. You can tell when its going to snap.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but how was the fit? I can't find long tubes anywhere and I would prefer to run longtubes over shorties when I do my rebuild next year.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to ask why long tubes over shorties?

In most cases and MOD motors the long tubes do not make enough difference to help.

In reality the headers in general are worth the effort as the rest of the exhaust is still the major restriction. Now if doing the exhaust along with the headers ther are gains to be had with some tuning. A stock tune will not see any real benefit.

So that the haters don't get mad at me everything work in conjunction, so to see a benefit you must package together your changes to be truly effective.

Headers, free flowing exhaust cai and tune will provide with an exceptional benefit. Doing 1 item at a time is no that effective and requires changes to the tune to get the most out of that bolt on.

Now from that perspective if doing headers don't forget the supporting items to make your mods the most effective.

Every mod motor I have worked on has been a problem child with the exhaust bolts. Soak sit resoak sit some more is pretty effective. Sometimes it still happens. An exhaust shop is your friend here.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to ask why long tubes over shorties?

In most cases and MOD motors the long tubes do not make enough difference to help.

In reality the headers in general are worth the effort as the rest of the exhaust is still the major restriction. Now if doing the exhaust along with the headers ther are gains to be had with some tuning. A stock tune will not see any real benefit.

So that the haters don't get mad at me everything work in conjunction, so to see a benefit you must package together your changes to be truly effective.

Headers, free flowing exhaust cai and tune will provide with an exceptional benefit. Doing 1 item at a time is no that effective and requires changes to the tune to get the most out of that bolt on.

Now from that perspective if doing headers don't forget the supporting items to make your mods the most effective.

Every mod motor I have worked on has been a problem child with the exhaust bolts. Soak sit resoak sit some more is pretty effective. Sometimes it still happens. An exhaust shop is your friend here.

VERY generally speaking, long tubes = horsepower, short tubes = torque. long tubes are effective at higher RPMs than short tubes. more often than not, apparently, shorties will install easier.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
VERY generally speaking, long tubes = horsepower, short tubes = torque. long tubes are effective at higher RPMs than short tubes. more often than not, apparently, shorties will install easier.

You do realize this is almost 5 years old...