Headlight issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdahlen

Reaction score
Hi, My 2011 xlt headlights just recently started acting up. Low beams both work, when i switch to high beam, the highbeam dont turn on and the left lowbeam goes out. Also noticed when i turn the lights on, there is a loud clicking coming from the fuse box.
TIA

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull fuse 23 and see if the loud clicking stops. That's your high beam fuse. The only spot where they have a common controller is the turn signal switch on the steering column. Unless it's been wrecked and repaired before you owned it, that would be my guess, the turn signal switch is bad.

2011 Expedition Fuse Box Diagram

Motorcraft SW6426 switch ....

SW6426-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Motorcraft SW6426 at Rock Auto

OP
OP
C

cdahlen

Reaction score
Thanks. I will pull fuse and try it. Also, it clicks even if i turn just the parking lights on .

x1050er

Reaction score
did you figure out your headlight problem?

My 2011 is starting to act up too. But, mine clicks and turns off the radio display

OP
OP
C

cdahlen

Reaction score
Hamfisted suggested it maybe the switch. I found one, but haven't had the chance to install it. When i do, I post an update.

x1050er

Reaction score
Thanks.
I just ordered the switch for the dash. Everything works fine if I leave the lights on auto. When I turn on the lights manually, the problem starts. I'll let you know too

x1050er

Reaction score
I just installed my headlight switch, Motorcraft sw6438 from rockauto.

Very easy to change out. So far so good, my clicking relay and radio display problem are gone!

OP
OP
C

cdahlen

Reaction score
Replaced the turn signal arm. The 1st day it acted the same way. The second day, the highbeams worked like they should. Not sure, but it was like the car had to recognize a new part was installed.

Last edited:

Mark Buckner

Reaction score
I just installed my headlight switch, Motorcraft sw6438 from rockauto.

Very easy to change out. So far so good, my clicking relay and radio display problem are gone!
X1050er, I’m thinking of changing the switch on my 2012 due to problems with fog lights. You mention it was easy to change out on your 2011. Can you point me towards some directions on how to get to that switch? I’d rather not wing it and tear the dash apart if there’s an easier way. Thanks much!