Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reflector housings in the 07’-14’ trucks were great. Starting in 15’ they’ve had widespread complaints about headlights (ever since they went to projectors).

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what I used
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B7GJ5J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note the difference in the area where the chips are mounted
Also 12000 lumens instead of 8000 lumens
I am satisfied with them

BTW just noticed that you used H11 bulbs
That is not correct for the low beam
Should be HB3
H11 for high beams
Owner's manual is wrong

Last edited:

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Roger. I did have another pair of bulbs, and made sure that I put them into the correct light. I have been following this thread for a week . . .

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just filed a written safety concern with the NHTSA, and have a case number regarding the headlights on my 2018 Expedition XLT . . .

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Another 3rd gen owner here to hopefully offer some assistance.

The proper way to set the height of your projector is to park on a level surface with a flat wall in front of you(25' away). Measure from the ground to the center of the projector lens. Whatever the measurement was subtract 2 inches. Thats the height of the lower portion of the cutoff line on the wall. Lower on left

Ive done a retrofit on my 07 and am currently working on another. If you have questions about the projector itself don't hesitate to ask

20151101_145559.jpg

20151101_140525.jpg

20180214_182706.jpg

20180315_212152.jpg

Last edited:

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I raised mine beams up a little and with both Hikari it's better than stock distance wise but the Beamtech had a little more peripheral light. With the stock fog lights on helps a little in that. Best I am going to get till a true HID conversion Headlight comes out. I'll see if I start to get flashed if so I'll lower them back a little

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Well I raised mine beams up a little and with both Hikari it's better than stock distance wise but the Beamtech had a little more peripheral light. With the stock fog lights on helps a little in that. Best I am going to get till a true HID conversion Headlight comes out. I'll see if I start to get flashed if so I'll lower them back a little
A Quality HID kit will definitely help.

I'm stressing quality because if the bulb doesn't have proper placement of the fillment you could see worse output than you have now.

Check out
Theretrofitsource.com
Diodedynamics.com
Lightwerkz.net

Expect to pay $150 for something or take a risk of being left in the dark

Last edited:

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya
Make sure you get a good quality HID kit
Had a $95.00 hid kit in my 2008 Nissan pathfinder
They quit out in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico
Drove very carefully about 30 miles in dusk conditions to get to a Walmart & replaced them silverstars
Have OEM HID's in my 2013 Taurus SHO & they have been fine for over 5 years
Only 28K miles on car though

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm really missing my oem HID in my 2014 FX2 F150. The new plug and play morimoto in the 2018 F 150 look awesome I wish they would come out with one for us.
Unfortunately it wont happen. Just don't see enough people upgrading the expedition platform compared to the F150. Retrofits are a good option and pleanty of led accent lighting could be added to give them some spice