Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question, but... if the front end is raised 2" due to the shocks, are you then describing a vehicle that is (from the side view) sitting at an angle with the front 2" higher than the rear?

Mark

From the factory most trucks and SUVs have varying degrees of "rake" meaning that the front of the vehicle is angled slightly downward. By adding a ride adjustable shock like the Bilstein 5100's, the truck is now sitting level or at least closer to it. The same is accomplished with a leveling kit - an extension or spacer that sits on top your stock strut - like the ReadyLift one.

upload_2018-8-15_16-17-50.png

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
D*mn, then if the truck is pivoted up 1 1/2" - 2", that should raise the lighted area below the hard cutoff by a very significant, vertical distance.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
For those with beamtech or ravmix LED bulbs any radio interference. I see they are half the price of the Hikari and wanted to know how they are performing.

The Beamtechs look very well built and came in some topnotch packaging. I was very impressed considering the price. The one issue I have come across is with the Auto Start/Stop: they do flicker ever so slightly when the truck comes back on. I usually disable this feature anyway because I'm not a fan of how the truck lurches and I question the ware and tear on the starter. I assume a couple of $10 resistors would fix the problem.

D*mn, then if the truck is pivoted up 1 1/2" - 2", that should raise the lighted area below the hard cutoff by a very significant, vertical distance.

Post #62 has the comparison for my F150 and my Expedition. The F150 is level with 35" tires compared to the 32.5" tires on the Expedition FX4, but the cutoff on the wall is over a foot higher at about 15 feet away.

Someone with a engineering degree can probably figure all this out better than I can. Haha.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those with beamtech or ravmix LED bulbs any radio interference. I see they are half the price of the Hikari and wanted to know how they are performing.
Hikari is the only one I found with a special design housing to work with projectors (look closely at the design)
Also have 2 year warranty & Philips LUMILED's led's which produce a claimed 12000 lumens
Others produce anywhere from 8000 to 9600 lumens
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B7GJ5J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No radio noise
They also work ok without extra resisitors
Others may not

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post #62 has the comparison for my F150 and my Expedition. The F150 is level with 35" tires compared to the 32.5" tires on the Expedition FX4, but the cutoff on the wall is over a foot higher at about 15 feet away.

Two considerations I've thought of--

1. Why would a tire increase or front shock change that lifts the cutoff line be any different than just raising the headlight adjustment?

2. If you monkey with the elevation of the headlight (vs. adjustment), aren't you then changing the calibration of the front sensors?

Mark

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have an '18 Platinum and live in the mountains. Headlights are great and we have no complaints. With fog lights on, visibility is excellent IMO.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it's only an issue with us XLT owners which I wanted an FX4 and had to go XLT route. I hope aftermarket like Morimoto hooks us Expedition owners up someday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hikari is the only one I found with a special design housing to work with projectors (look closely at the design)
Also have 2 year warranty & Philips LUMILED's led's which produce a claimed 12000 lumens
Others produce anywhere from 8000 to 9600 lumens
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077B7GJ5J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No radio noise
They also work ok without extra resisitors
Others may not
Mike did yours fit in tight? My beam tech twisted in tight the hikari not so much u can feel a little looseness when twisted in.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Low beams new Hikari on passenger side Beamtech on driver side. Positive more focused beam negative doesn't fit in housing as tight as stock or Beamtech it has a little wiggle to it very little but it could be tighter fit . I pulled it out rechecked everything reinstalled still tiny bit wiggle.3c6b60633f2b9f904436390bb5fa028a.jpg39ed5d2f502fb13c25b5f2899fec3c42.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01