Headlight weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also as you can see cutoffs still an issue for distance. Tomorrow I'll install the other side and might raise headlights with the adjustment just a smidge until ppl start flashing me like I have brights on then back it down till they dont. Right now even with these new bulbs in I haven't been flashed, so I know I got room to play with in hight adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both look to be much brighter than stock.
I think I'd go with the flood more so than the beam for the low beams.
Low beams new Hikari on passenger side Beamtech on driver side. Positive more focused beam negative doesn't fit in housing as tight as stock or Beamtech it has a little wiggle to it very little but it could be tighter fit . I pulled it out rechecked everything reinstalled still tiny bit wiggle.3c6b60633f2b9f904436390bb5fa028a.jpg39ed5d2f502fb13c25b5f2899fec3c42.jpg

@Yukon Joe

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18-FX4-Guy, The cutoff on mine is quite a bit higher than yours and even starts to fade before the cutoff line. It may just be the picture, but I will estimate I have another 20-30yds of visibility. I am currently using Silverstars in the low beams.

18-FX4-GUY

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah my cutoff makes it so you get about 75 feet of light I got out and paced it the light had not faded yet. I'm going to adjust them a little higher pointing. It sucks at night where I live no street lights and we have burros and coyotes in the road a lot. At speed above 45 it's not enough light distance unless I have brights on. With all the oncomin traffic I get to hardly use them. I almost hit a burro a few months back and that was in my f 150 with the factory hid which gave me the brightness and distance of the highs with it lows and it had a cutoff too. I just hoping Morimoto or someone brings out hid complete headlight like they did for the new F 150 that work and looks awesome. Also my area very hilly and it makes it worse than that pic.

Last edited:

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My HIKARI bulbs had red gaskets that fit tight & sealed very well
Tucked the controller & extra wire inside the housing & reinstalled the rubber caps on mine

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to bite the bullet and take my XLT back to the dealer and see if they can make the headlights better. These lights are, by far, the worst functioning lights I have ever driven.

Over the last couple days, I installed LEDs on both HI and LOW. Went out last night just at dusk for a 20 mile drive. The lights sucked so badly that I couldn't even see the entrance to my own driveway. Nearly zero peripheral lighting. These headlights are, indeed, a hazard. I will jump on the bandwagon and elevate this issue to the feds' safety dept.

This morning I removed the LEDs and replaced my lights with the OEM bulbs, so my vehicle is back to mint.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK
which LED bulbs did you use?
The are a lot of different versions
I used the HIKARI Philips Lumileds & they are much better than the original halogens
The have a unique deflector in the housing next to the LED chips
Different than any of the others I have seen
They are definitely much brighter than the halogens & I think the cutoff is higher (although not by much)
Could try HID's I suppose
Let us know what you find out at the dealer