Heat gets cold at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i replaces everything don’t know what todo

Usually low heat output at idle indicates low engine coolant, with an air pocket.

Are you POSITIVE that your coolant is not low? Do not rely on your overflow reservoir to the level, check inside the radiator when cold.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually low heat output at idle indicates low engine coolant, with an air pocket.

Are you POSITIVE that your coolant is not low? Do not rely on your overflow reservoir to the level, check inside the radiator when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How my radiator has no cap is there another way

When the engine cools completely, does the upper radiator hose collapse? If so, the pressure cap on the reservoir may be defective.

Does the coolant reservoir level go up and down, higher when hot, and lower when cold? If not, you may have a small leak in the overflow reservoir hose which permits air to be drawn into the radiator system when the engine cools (and the coolant contracts). A pinhole leak in the hose (not obvious) can cause air leakage.

When the engine is cold, can you squeeze the upper coolant hose and determine if it is full or coolant (or feels as though it is full of air)? That would also indicate low coolant.

OP
OP
Eightiesrock80

Eightiesrock80

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the engine cools completely, does the upper radiator hose collapse? If so, the pressure cap on the reservoir may be defective.

Does the coolant reservoir level go up and down, higher when hot, and lower when cold? If not, you may have a small leak in the overflow reservoir hose which permits air to be drawn into the radiator system when the engine cools (and the coolant contracts). A pinhole leak in the hose (not obvious) can cause air leakage.

When the engine is cold, can you squeeze the upper coolant hose and determine if it is full or coolant (or feels as though it is full of air)? That would also indicate low coolant.

I will check when I get home and let you know thanks so much