Heated Steering Wheel - Installation on my 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been researching how to install a heated steering wheel (HSW) onto my 2017 Limited since January...see thread below:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/15-17-heated-steering-wheel.34479/

Now I've decided to go all in and see if it's possible. Nothing like procrastinating and doing this project in late Spring/Early Summer :)

I've accumulated a HSW from an Explorer, a HSW module, and a wiring harness...I'm awaiting arrival of the clock spring (with HSW connection) and the airbag to fit the Explorer steering wheel.

As I put together this project I'll post what works/doesn't work and what I've attempted to get this to work in my Expy.

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the HSW I picked up from an Explorer. It bolts directly onto the Expy column and plugs into the Expy clock spring.

Explorer Wheel.jpg

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of you folks around here are brave in these projects!
How do the wiring harnesses match up?? Going to have to cut any wires you think?

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of you folks around here are brave in these projects!
How do the wiring harnesses match up?? Going to have to cut any wires you think?

Here’s a pic of my wiring harness...thanks to @Lucas8888 on the F-150 forum. Only one wire to splice, that’s the long wire (with red end)...it goes to the BCM or I could tap into another switched power source. The rest of the harness is plugs and inserting 2 pins into the harness/connector at the clock spring.

F1F754E8-E7BB-462C-A5C1-DD3D35D03B41.jpeg

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: I received the airbag for my Explorer steering wheel and the clockspring...but they sent the wrong clockspring. I’ve reordered the correct clockspring and it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thursday looks like my best chance to get on with the install.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you get this all to work do you make "garage calls" to Massachusetts?

:):)

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m still in the “hoping I can get it to work” phase :)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2015 Ford Expediton Limited 4x4, the salesperson stated that a heated steering wheel not available as an option or at any trim level on the Expedition.

Ford apparently reserved the heated steering wheel option for its high-end vehicles such as the Focus and Fusion.

Page 559 (Index) of my Expedtion’s owner’s manual has “Heated Steering Wheel” listed with a reference page of 498. When I turned to page 498, it has information about “MyFord Touch”.

The heated steering wheel is one feature I really miss, as all of my other vehicles have it and I live in the Midwest with cold winters.

I can’t believe Ford didn’t offer the heated wheel. But, after driving the Expediton for a while, I realized the Expediton was missing several convenient features that many other vehicles have (TPMS readout on dash, rear cargo net, rear cargo hooks, rear security cover, hood ajar warning, etc.).

I sometimes wonder if Ford ever surveys its customers and asks what they want in a vehicle - it sure doesn’t seem like it.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I ordered my 2015 Ford Expediton Limited 4x4, the salesperson stated that a heated steering wheel not available as an option or at any trim level on the Expedition.

Ford apparently reserved the heated steering wheel option for its high-end vehicles such as the Focus and Fusion.

Page 559 (Index) of my Expedtion’s owner’s manual has “Heated Steering Wheel” listed with a reference page of 498. When I turned to page 498, it has information about “MyFord Touch”.

The heated steering wheel is one feature I really miss, as all of my other vehicles have it and I live in the Midwest with cold winters.

I can’t believe Ford didn’t offer the heated wheel. But, after driving the Expediton for a while, I realized the Expediton was missing several convenient features that many other vehicles have (TPMS readout on dash, rear cargo net, rear cargo hooks, rear security cover, hood ajar warning, etc.).

I sometimes wonder if Ford ever surveys its customers and asks what they want in a vehicle - it sure doesn’t seem like it.
I hear what you say. The Expedition is like the forgotten child in Ford's lineup. I guess that's going to change since Ford is dumping most of its lineup in favour of trucks and SUVs.