Heated Steering Wheel - Installation on my 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next, do a scan around the interior to make sure you have everything reconnected, zip-tied, secured, cleaned up, etc.

Reconnect the battery to the vehicle.

You are ready to program the Expy to recognize the Heated Steering Wheel Module (HSWM) and setup your new heated steering wheel.

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But, before I started any programming I wanted to ensure the wheel was connected properly and operating as I had expected...so I started the Expy and tried the various switches on the steering wheel to see if/how they worked.

I then took the Expy for a short drive to test the cruise buttons/functions.

Once I was happy everything was working as I expected, I returned to home and shut off the Expy...ready to program.

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you connect your vehicle to FORScan, select/make a new profile when reading your vehicle (if you don't, FORScan may not search for the new HSWM you have connected).

When FORScan reads the modules in your Expy, you should see something along the lines of 'Found Module: HSW Heated Steering Wheel'

I recommend you make 3 changes to the modules in your Expy:

1. Change the APIM to display the Heated Steering Wheel icon on your display

2. Change the IPC so that you will have the option to turn on the Heated Steering Wheel when you remote start your Expy

3. Change the HSW Module to reflect the settings you want

In the next post I'll go over each of the 3 recommended changes to explain what you are looking for.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fantastic, thanks!!!

My only concern is choosing the circuit for tapping power. I don't know how much current the heated steering wheel element draws, but electric heaters tend to demand a lot of amperage. I also don't have a wiring diagram for an Explorer, but the diagram I do have (for a 2016 Focus RS) shows the HSW element is connected to its own dedicated 15A fuse. The power circuit you tapped is 10A and is shared by several relays. I can't imagine those relays require much power, but I'd just want to make sure the circuit can handle the extra load.

Also, the HSW element connections for the '16 Focus RS are 18 gauge wire. I'd also want to make sure all connections for the heating element are at least that size.

This Lucas fellow you mentioned who makes a wire harness for the F150 upgrade, how do we reach him again? You may have posted about that before, sorry if I missed it.

Thanks again! :)

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Post #30 gives the contact info for Luke, but here it [email protected]

Again, ensure you mention to him the harness you want is for the Expedition and he will make you the correct harness (and it saves you $50).

I understand your concern about the fuse size. So far I haven't had any issues, but I haven't used the HSW too much yet :)

If I run into an issue I'll post up my correction...and hopefully, so will anyone else who does this modification.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
17LimitedExpy, you are one awesome individual. I just got finished looking at the step-by-step instructions you posted. I got tired just looking at all those steps!

For anyone looking to install that heater, you made it seem certainly doable.

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heated grips on a motorcycle I understand, but a heated steering wheel on an SUV[emoji848]

One thing I wish I could get on my motorcycle would be a air conditioned seat.......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
17LimitedExpy

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Heated grips on a motorcycle I understand, but a heated steering wheel on an SUV[emoji848]

One thing I wish I could get on my motorcycle would be a air conditioned seat.......

Not sure what part of the US you live in, but in some areas it gets a little chilly and when you park your Expy outside overnight or for long periods of time...it's very nice to have a heated steering wheel.

I just used it the other day when the temps in the morning are dipping into the 50's...it was great on the hands! When the temps reach the 30's and below, it will be one of the best Mods I've made to my Expy!

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what part of the US you live in, but in some areas it gets a little chilly and when you park your Expy outside overnight or for long periods of time...it's very nice to have a heated steering wheel.

I just used it the other day when the temps in the morning are dipping into the 50's...it was great on the hands! When the temps reach the 30's and below, it will be one of the best Mods I've made to my Expy!
I actually hadn't thought of a heated steering wheel before I saw this post. I live in Virginia, we're only into the 50s overnight right now, but we'll be in the teens in December. I've been fortunate to have remote start on my last 3 vehicles, but a heated steering wheel would be tempting without it. I have the bonus of the black interior in my truck too, so as long as the sun is out I get a heated steering wheel and dash for free.... lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360