Heater hose under cam phaser recall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iris

Reaction score
Hey guys, I could used some advice.

I have a 2019 Expedition Limited Stealth and it just went in for its second cam phaser repair under warranty. The service rep then called me to let me know the repair was done but that the heater hose was "weeping" and it needs to be replaced at a cost of over $1k.

1) Is $1,050 a fair price to replace JL1Z-18472-B and JL1Z-18472-C?
2) Is it fair for me to push back on the dealer and Ford warranty saying that the heater hose wouldn't be "weeping" if it hadn't been removed multiple times for the cam phaser repairs?
3) Who Ford would i contact to inquire about a goodwill repair?
4) How difficult is it to access and replace JL1Z-18472-B and JL1Z-18472-C?

Thanks guys!

Expy Gator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$140 worth of hoses - $910 worth of labor? "weeping" is subjective - pictures would help. I wouldn't think the hoses would be deteriorated or brittle on a '19. My daughters 4Runner front cover was "weeping" according to the dealer and they wanted 1K to reseal it. "Dusting"... "Weeping"? Well, we drove it another 50k miles and not one drop of oil leaked on the ground.......

ColoradoJason

Reaction score
I might call them back, and blindly ask for the cost to replace those two parts. If they say $1,050, then it’s a flat book rate with no consideration for the reduction in labor for already being in there for the cam phasers.

I don’t have my Expedition yet, so I can’t picture where those hoses are. I would think that the cam phaser fix would remove enough parts in the way that the heater hose job would be a lot cheaper than if it was the only thing they were fixing.

Last edited:

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ironically, there is another forum member that had the same issue earlier this week. Dealer quoted $1,400. See this: Link

That is totally absurd. The hoses + coolant shouldn’t be more than $250. Add two labor hours and this should be $500-600 repair.

Am I missing something?? These seem to be the normal radiator hoses and not the turbo cooling ones!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This unfortunately lends itself to one of my fears, all of these vehicles with pristine engines, getting torn apart with dozens of things removed to do these phaser replacements, things are going to get messed up and fail or be disassembled/re-assembled wrong. Just makes me think there will be large rounds of folks on here with issues related to the phaser fix that dealers won't accept responsibility for and neither will Ford. A bunch of ticking time bombs is my fear. I wish we all had a better choice right now.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This unfortunately lends itself to one of my fears, all of these vehicles with pristine engines, getting torn apart with dozens of things removed to do these phaser replacements, things are going to get messed up and fail or be disassembled/re-assembled wrong. Just makes me think there will be large rounds of folks on here with issues related to the phaser fix that dealers won't accept responsibility for and neither will Ford. A bunch of ticking time bombs is my fear. I wish we all had a better choice right now.
I couldn't agree more, especially when the technicians are getting paid a % of flat rate. The faster they do jobs the more $$$ they make. Slow and steady is not the order of business at a dealership, like if you were doing it yourself.

We had our Tahoe in for a lower control arm and the tech did not tighten the tie rod end nut. Tie rod fell off while my wife was driving - thank God very slow, 5 minutes before she was on the highway at 60mph.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and every time i read this stuff, i makes me thank those above me I bought a ford service plan. Maybe this will be the next recall. "Customers who have had a phaser replacement done must have coolant hoses replaced due to propensity for damage during removal and reinstall".

OP
OP
I

iris

Reaction score
and every time i read this stuff, i makes me thank those above me I bought a ford service plan.
We have a Ford Extended service AND Ford maintenance plan, according to Ford customer service niether of those plans of the phaser recall covers the damaged heater hose. Im waiting to hear back about what type of goodwill Ford and the dealer come up with.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be sure to make the case that they only noticed the issue AFTER working on that, that it had never been a problem until they worked in the area.