Heater hose under cam phaser recall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies and information/suggestions.

Ford Customer Service called me back this morning and let me know they are going to pay 60% of the repair which leaves only $185 for me to pay.

Update: About 10 minutes after the initial call the Ford Customer Service rep called back and let me know that Ford is covering the repair 100%!!!
Well that is good news!! I hope I get the same results.

fmendezex2019

Reaction score
Quick update..

I received a call from Ford yesterday saying that they were going replace my rear shocks/struts and the heater hoses for $188. I think that is better good considering that they are covering about 80% or more of the cost. Not bad for making a phone call and trying out their customer service. I'm happy!! I will keep everyone updated.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I bought an aluminum y-fitting at the parts store, cut all three hoses and hose clamped them, that was 30-40k miles ago and it’s still perfectly fine. $10 and 30 minutes. HOWEVER, the same hose which runs from the firewall to the radiator is now leaking at the steel pinch clamping directly under the top of the radiator hose—only enough to leave a residue of coolant. It looks like the steel has split. I saw it while changing the oil filter and doing a thorough look around with a flashlight. I’m going to put a hose clamp around the steel to fix it. The whole heater hose apparatus is disappointing on the quality front.

Bythor1963

Reaction score
You have to be your own advocate, and do your own fighting because no one will ever do it for you, Congrats on your tenacity!!

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few months after my 2nd cam phaser repair had dripping leak of one of the heater hoses. I have a Ford extended warranty, dealer said was not covered.
My dealer said they would discount the repair, replaced JL1Z*18472*B JL1Z*18472*C hose, added coolant with total cost of $613.85. My Expy has just under 80k miles.
At last cam phaser repair I asked to replace serpentine belt, my dealer picked up the cost of the part.
I’m very pleased with my service advisor and pleased that I have a good local Ford dealer.
I just bought another vehicle from them, so I guess I’m a good customer!

On a completely different side note, the dealer parts manager said around August 2022, the cam phaser part have what he described a some type of coil on the front, which is different than previous phasers. I am hopeful this design change will keep these phasers working for a long time.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 had two heater hoses replaced due to slow leak, not too long after 2nd cam phaser repair, around 75k miles, cost was approximately $450, they said they gave me a 10% curtesy discount.

bobward757

Reaction score
That's complete BS. If you have a ford service plan, that should cover it minus the $100. Even without the phaser service, hoses failing at your mileage with a warranty should 100% be covered. I would fight that big time.

My T assembly and hoses were covered under warranty. Fight back!

Ramunni

Reaction score
Same issue... cam phaser was done on my 2018 XLT 4x4, and a year later, I had a coolant leak. The heater hose assemblies were replaced (JL1Z-18472 C & JL1Z-18472 B), which looks to have stopped the leaking. Not a cheap fix ($260 in parts & $850 in labor). Ford would not cover the repair, even with an extended warranty.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same issue... cam phaser was done on my 2018 XLT 4x4, and a year later, I had a coolant leak. The heater hose assemblies were replaced (JL1Z-18472 C & JL1Z-18472 B), which looks to have stopped the leaking. Not a cheap fix ($260 in parts & $850 in labor). Ford would not cover the repair, even with an extended warranty.
If you have the PremiumCare plan everything should be covered