Hellwig front sway bar install, any suggestions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my front sway bar from Summit this week, rear is on back order. Figured it'd be a simple install but now that I read the instructions it says the vehicle should be on the ground, not raised by frame and there is no way I can fit under the truck this way and work. I don't have ramps, well I do but they don't work on the Expy, so I'm wondering if there are any tips on getting the vehicle up to do this job? I'd hate to pay labor rate on what should be a simple swap out install.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could try using my plastic ramps in the grass and they may get it up but I what I don't understand is if I raise the front will the rear need to be raised to make the car level? Not sure if there is an issue of having just the front up on ramps to install the front sway bar?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could try using my plastic ramps in the grass and they may get it up but I what I don't understand is if I raise the front will the rear need to be raised to make the car level? Not sure if there is an issue of having just the front up on ramps to install the front sway bar?

No problem having the vehicle on ramps from my understanding. The main thing is the weight of the vehicle is on the suspension when installing.
If you are worried about your ramps I would recommend you use jack stands for protection. Never hurts to play it safe! Edit: Not sure why you need to be on grass but use boards under those jack stands if you are. Edit 2: Nothing wrong with giving a call to whoever services your vehicle and seeing what they would charge to install. With a lift and the right tools they can do it PDQ and might surprise you since it would be a 10-15minute job for them. Just a thought.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used ramps for many years and pick them up a garage sales for peanuts. I ruined 2 sets with my 8,000 pound Excursion but I learned to get the ones with the wider vertical rib on the sides or the ones with the strap that is riveted to both sides. They will never crush you but the trick is to use them on a solid surface and stand way back to get them perfectly lined up with the wheels. Sometimes I even use four of them to get it level for transmission filling etc. They are great to have and safe if used properly. To use 4 you need to put it in first gear and 4WD.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put the truck on jack stands, install sway bar but leave it very loose. Once you lower it down you can still access all the hardware you need to within an arm’s length when you’re laying down, or by turning the wheel in the necessary direction to get access.

OP
OP
F

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went ahead and used the ramps I had and did it in the grass which then they can't slide away as I try to go up them with the Expy. Was simple enough I guess. The end links were a bit of a pain, mostly because my tool set for some reason decided nobody needs an 18mm wrench. Came with 17mm and 19mm, and the end link was 18mm. Went to Harbor Freight this morning and they had no single 18mm, and no cheap normal open end wrench set that had the 18mm. Ended up having to buy an off-set wrench set. Worked out I guess.