Help! 2017 EB: Pop! Reduced Power. No code.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope you lost the tube going to the IC, down low near the radiator. Pretty common. Should be an easy fix if you can get to the hose. It probably worked it way off due to oil/moisture in the tube. Hopefully the clamp is still there. If not you will need one. Fairly big. Can't remember the diameter.

I recently had the leaking engine water pump replaced on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 at a local Ford dealer (only took four trips to diagnose).

Now, when I cold start my vehicle (20-45 degrees F ambient temperature), I also get one or two pops. I bought the vehicle new, and it has never been wrecked or damaged - or made this noise.

The technician damaged one large plastic intake piece, and it was also replaced under the repair - in addition to the water pump kit (Ford extended warranty).

Is the hose you mentioned going to the inter cooler (IC?) a rubber hose, or a hard plastic hose?

I’m very irritated with the dealer service and would prefer to try to fix the problem myself, instead of a fifth trip to the dealer. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I recently had the leaking engine water pump replaced on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 at a local Ford dealer (only took four trips to diagnose).

Now, when I cold start my vehicle (20-45 degrees F ambient temperature), I also get one or two pops. I bought the vehicle new, and it has never been wrecked or damaged - or made this noise.

The technician damaged one large plastic intake piece, and it was also replaced under the repair - in addition to the water pump kit (Ford extended warranty).

Is the hose you mentioned going to the inter cooler (IC?) a rubber hose, or a hard plastic hose?

I’m very irritated with the dealer service and would prefer to try to fix the problem myself, instead of a fifth trip to the dealer. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I believe at least one is hard plastic. I think @shinysideup2 got a good pic of it in the post above.

Get a video from the outside of the pops if you can and post it here...would love to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised no codes were thrown as the MAF sensor normally would lean the engine out in a non turbo with no airflow. In this case the MAF is seeing unrestricted turbo boost. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am surprised no codes were thrown as the MAF sensor normally would lean the engine out in a non turbo with no airflow. In this case the MAF is seeing unrestricted turbo boost. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure we have no MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Rather, EB's sense air volume via MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensors. This is the reason drilling a hole in the intercooler is ok as it doesn't richen the mixture. Good point though. When I first read about the intercooler hole drilling mod to drain fluids out of there, I was concerned about the same thing.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe at least one is hard plastic. I think @shinysideup2 got a good pic of it in the post above.

Get a video from the outside of the pops if you can and post it here...would love to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I found this TSB regarding the popping noise on my 2015 Expedition: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058195-1717.pdf

I am not sure why it doesn’t apply to the 2016-2017 Expedition models? It also says “some” models may make the sound. If it is normal, I wonder why all models don’t make the sound?

When the engine is started cold after parked all night or longer (and with cold ambient temperatures about 15 - 35 degrees F), it will have one pop after about 20-30 seconds (similar to the beginning of a microwave bag of popcorn starting to pop).

Both cooling fans also sound like they turn on to a high setting (but not as loud as the roar they make when it is above 90 degrees F with the a/c on at idle).

The pop is very pronounced and can be heard with the hood closed, and from at least 20 - 30 feet away (and I don’t have perfect hearing....).

I did not return it to the dealer, due to this TSB. However, I bought the vehicle new and the pop noise did not begin until after the dealer replaced the water pump and hub, and one hose and one large hard plastic air duct (that they damaged).

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we have no MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. Rather, EB's sense air volume via MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensors. This is the reason drilling a hole in the intercooler is ok as it doesn't richen the mixture. Good point though. When I first read about the intercooler hole drilling mod to drain fluids out of there, I was concerned about the same thing.
I could never keep the two sensors straight.

So the intercooler collect condensation? Who would have thought? They need a spit valve.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found this TSB regarding the popping noise on my 2015 Expedition: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10058195-1717.pdf

I am not sure why it doesn’t apply to the 2016-2017 Expedition models? It also says “some” models may make the sound. If it is normal, I wonder why all models don’t make the sound?

When the engine is started cold after parked all night or longer (and with cold ambient temperatures about 15 - 35 degrees F), it will have one pop after about 20-30 seconds (similar to the beginning of a microwave bag of popcorn starting to pop).

Both cooling fans also sound like they turn on to a high setting (but not as loud as the roar they make when it is above 90 degrees F with the a/c on at idle).

The pop is very pronounced and can be heard with the hood closed, and from at least 20 - 30 feet away (and I don’t have perfect hearing....).

I did not return it to the dealer, due to this TSB. However, I bought the vehicle new and the pop noise did not begin until after the dealer replaced the water pump and hub, and one hose and one large hard plastic air duct (that they damaged).
I wonder why at those cold temps. A layer of ice on the accumulated water? Fuel condensation in the exhaust manifold? Why?

Edit nevermind. Probably the intake air is so dense.

OP
OP
shinysideup2

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing the EB does (or did) this with the bypass valve on start-up to make sure the bypass valve is not frozen shut and can actually open. If a bypass valve fails to open when you lift throttle (followed by heavy throttle), the compressor will surge, potentially harming the turbo. Since the fast-spinning turbine which doesn't have time to slow, keeps producing boost which then builds excessively ahead of the now closed throttle body.

That's my guess... From a bit of study on turbo cars since the 90's + friends in the race community who work for Honeywell (turbo mfg division). This article + video explains it a bit. https://www.caradvice.com.au/587685/what-is-turbo-flutter-and-compressor-surge-is-it-bad/

I wonder why at those cold temps. A layer of ice on the accumulated water? Fuel condensation in the exhaust manifold? Why?

Edit nevermind. Probably the intake air is so dense.

Last edited: