Help a new member?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay so I bought a 99 Eddie Bauer with the 5.4.

I noticed that I have the switch for 4x4 but do not have an indicator on the dashboard. There is no place where 4x4 would even be illuminated. My first thought was to take the dash apart and see if the switch was actually connected to anything, it is.

When I switch to the 4hi or 4lo i dont seem to feel any difference. The truck has 64000 miles on it and I am thinking the guy might have bought a new display because of the odometer issues that these trucks have and the mileage was never set (resulting in such low miles, would it start at zero if a new instrument was installed?)

Oh and the odometer also went out on me and then back on.

How can I tell if this truck is 4x4 or not?

Any ideas.

Thanks

rexster314

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay it is def a 4x4 here is the issue. When I turn the key to on I see low range. When I start the vehicle I see the low range and the 4x4 lit up. If I attempt to put it in 4hi it does not light up. When I put it in N and try 4L it does not light up. I am worried that I am always in 4wd and dont know it because I feel no difference when I put in 4hi or that I do not have 4wd. Please help

Additionally in the rear of the vehicle near the sub woofer there are two hoses and they seem very hot to me after driving around???? Is this an issue. Thank you guys and gals in advance.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 95

hwy73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Round thing is the blower motor for rear heat/AC. Pipes are A/C refrigerant lines. Hoses are for rear heat. Hoses will be hot whenever truck is running as engine coolant always circulates thru them.

As to the 4x4, there is a motor on the transfer case that the knob on the dash controls for shifting into/out of 4wd that may have failed. However, there is a sequence for getting into 4-Low that requires the vehicle to be stopped, brake applied, neutral, knob turned to 4-Low. Lights on cluster will illuminate brieifly when key is turned on for bulb check.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are awesome thanks.... so it will not go into 4x4 okay but could it be stuck in 4x4 and the lights not be on. I did have an issue with the lights on the odometer. It is weird that the low comes on in the on position then goes off then when I start the vehicle both low and 4x4 come on and go off. I am pretty certain that I am not in 4x4 low but could I be stuck in 4x4 hi and with no light. Is there anyway to find out if I am in 4x4hi or regular AWD?

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you were stuck in 4x4 high, your truck would be kind of jumping and binding in the front when you go around a corner on dry pavement. You'd be able to feel it for sure.

OP
OP
C

cymru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks so any fixes to get it into 4x4 other than t motor replacement? Fuses.... anything. I apologize for being such a newb but I am trying..