Help adding 7 pin to ‘17 XLT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The6ofus

Reaction score
Hi all! Newbie here that tried searching but couldn’t find an answer to my specific question.

I’m looking for the easiest, least intrusive way to add a 7 pin connection to pull my pop up camper. I’ve already found and rerouted the brake controller wires in the dash. So that tells me that somewhere in the back there must be another plug and play connection, or maybe not? I do have the 4 pin and see one more capped wire next to it. I also located a large, round plug that is connected to something just behind the driver’s side rear wheel. I’ve spoken with and emailed these photos to etrailer and they insist there should be a large round plug at the right rear closer to the bumper. I’m wondering if that is simply a storage location, similar to the brake controller pigtail, for the 7 pin.

I hope someone can clear this up for me soon. Picking the camper up Friday and gotta have that 7 pin. Thanks in advance!

4 pin

DE61D223-0B0A-482B-AA9A-5784A870B4AD.jpeg

Here are 3 sequence shots showing the location of the large round plug.

568226B6-88C6-40D2-AD9E-A4A88745DA61.jpeg

94BE1769-6016-4620-9084-5E8FB279A610.jpeg

73168CD2-C75B-43AF-89C4-6E653DF69BD5.jpeg

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
I should get a chance to dig into it Tuesday morning to test/trace wires. If I learn anything new I’ll be sure to post the results.

Last edited:

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure that those of us without the HD tow package only have the trailer brake wire (that capped one next to the 4 pin) and the plug behind the left dash cubby for the factory controller.
If the aux power wire were tucked some where towards the rear sure would be nice but pretty sure it is not.

Did you install the factory brake controller in the dash and activate it and turn your gain display on in the dash with ForScan or going aftermarket for brake controller?

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
Thanks Black. I have an aftermarket that I removed from the Explorer I traded in. It’s only a year old and works fine, so I’m sticking with that.

I hear what you are saying. If I have to splice in a universal setup I will. Maybe my logic is flawed, but there are 7 wires in the controller pigtail at the dash. I don’t have the colors in front of me, but they have to go somewhere.

It is odd that this truck has a Class IV hitch, the tow/haul button on the shifter and a 7 wire controller connection at the dash, and fuses in all the right spots for a 7 pin, with just a 4 pin at the back. I do not have the extra oil cooler so I guess that and the 7 pin would’ve made it the HD Tow package.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Black. I have an aftermarket that I removed from the Explorer I traded in. It’s only a year old and works fine, so I’m sticking with that.

I hear what you are saying. If I have to splice in a universal setup I will. Maybe my logic is flawed, but there are 7 wires in the controller pigtail at the dash. I don’t have the colors in front of me, but they have to go somewhere.

It is odd that this truck has a Class IV hitch, the tow/haul button on the shifter and a 7 wire controller connection at the dash, and fuses in all the right spots for a 7 pin, with just a 4 pin at the back. I do not have the extra oil cooler so I guess that and the 7 pin would’ve made it the HD Tow package.

Certainly does seem strange but nothing surprises me anymore with car manufacturers.
If you find it do please let us know. I don’t tow anything other than a small trailer for my 4 wheeler and Dr Field and brush mower at the moment so I have not bothered upgrading yet.
Maybe some day I’ll finish my Mustang and will tow it from time to time up to MidAmerica then I’ll get around to it.

The HD tow package also has an different radiator than we do.

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
True. I equate it to the halogen headlights with LED “fog” lights. [emoji849]

Ah, good to know on the radiator. There’s a bracket on the front of my radiator that looks like it would hold an extra oil cooler. I’ll post up my findings, no matter what I do or don’t find.

My ‘13 Explorer XLT 4x4 had everything I needed to tow the camper. Oil cooler, Class IV and a 4/7 pin. Oh well! Definitely like everything else about this Expy.

2ffdb44143e5d8e9c44863daf6a7fdae.jpg

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I had a 02 XLT 2x4 and it had the 4 pin. (no trans cooler) It had (under the dash) the plug for the brake controller. I went to Hitch world at U-Haul and bought both harnesses. I just unplugged the 4 pin and plugged in the 7 pin. Then the harness for the brake controller had what wire was what. I spliced it to the brake controller and plugged it in. the only other thing was fuse and relay under the hood. I did not have to splice 1 wire on truck so I am pretty sure you wouldn't have to on your 17.

OP
OP
The6ofus

The6ofus

Reaction score
I had a 02 XLT 2x4 and it had the 4 pin. (no trans cooler) It had (under the dash) the plug for the brake controller. I went to Hitch world at U-Haul and bought both harnesses. I just unplugged the 4 pin and plugged in the 7 pin. Then the harness for the brake controller had what wire was what. I spliced it to the brake controller and plugged it in. the only other thing was fuse and relay under the hood. I did not have to splice 1 wire on truck so I am pretty sure you wouldn't have to on your 17.

Good to know! I am wondering if that connector I have in the first post goes to the 4 pin currently but the truck side has all 7 wires. That’s one thing I need to test. I will need to keep my 4 pin for my 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer we use as our “pickup truck bed”, hauling all kinds of stuff occasionally.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will need to keep my 4 pin for my 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer we use as our “pickup truck bed”, hauling all kinds of stuff occasionally.
There is a adapter 7 pin to 4 pin that plugs right into the 7 pin. I wouldn't keep changing out harnesses. Plus when you change it I would silicone caulk it so its all nice and waterproof.