HELP! Aftermarket Amps/Speakers in 2017 Exp with 6 Speaker Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charles davis

Reaction score
First let me say I have looked all over. I have the basic Sync, small display, 6 speaker system in my 2017 Exp XLT. Sonic only has an interface for the Sony system and Crutchfield has nothing really for this year model.

I want to put my aftermarket speakers/amp and sub amp/subwoofer from my previous car in my Exp. My Double din unit won't seem to work so just amps and speakers. I have all Alpine Type R speakers (a set of component speakers and a set of coaxial 2 ways) and a couple Alpine amps (sub and 4 channel)

I'm not spending $2k plus on an aftermarket head unit (There are really no other choices for our vehicles that I have found) so I'm going to install with factory head unit unless one of you have better information.

I don't think I have an amp in this factory unit. Can anyone confirm this?

I also want to keep it clean sounding and I've read that some of the PAC components introduce "noise" to the signal.

Can someone please provide me with some guidance and experience?

Thanks

MBohn

Reaction score
Im not entirely sure if your model has an amp or not. I have a 2015 XLT, but it has MyTouch. Easy to find out though. Open the rear hatch. On the drivers side there is a tray right behind the cupholders for the 3rd row. That tray will pop out if you pull up on it. Mine has an amplifier right under the tray.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont believe the system has an amp. I've yet to work on this particular year and configuration but aside from a factory sub having its amp that should be it.

As far as getting signal to the amps with summing and correct the eq roll off from that factory system look into the AudioControl LC7i.

OP
OP
charles davis

charles davis

Reaction score
After much research, there is no Amp with the stock Sync 6 speaker system and I have completed my upgrade. Here is what I installed and some info on what I found.

Stock head unit (Very few options for aftermarket, none under $1k)
AudioControl LC7i
Alpine MRV-F300 4-Channel Amp
Alpine MRV-M500 Mono Amp

Alpine R-Series 6 x 8 Inch 2 way Speakers - Front Doors
Alpine R-Series 6 x 8 Inch 2 way Speakers - Rear Doors
Alpine SWR-12D2 Type-R 12" Sub

First I simply replaced all the speakers. With no Amp, there was not enough power to drive these speakers so it didn't sound great. Better than stock but not by much. It was obvious they were under-powered.

So the install began. I opted for a new challenge and decided to do this myself since the installers close to me were quoting $700 - $950 and the 2 places I tried both canceled my appointments in 1 week. Impatience made this become a weekend project for me.

The 4 Gauge Amp Kit was easy to install. I was able to run the battery cable from the engine bay, down the wheel well (Passenger/Battery side) and use wire covers and zip ties to secure it safely under the frame and up through a plug at the passenger rear door under the interior door molding. Below are some images.

My location options were limited for the LC7i and 2 amps since mt 3rd row seat is always down and very often the back seats are down for carrying bicycles and racing gear around the country and I didn't want them out in the open. What I found was, the 2 Amps fit perfect and had clearance under the center back seat and the LC7i and power distribution blocks went under the drivers side back seat keeping the components all close to each other and the wiring nice and clean.

Now it sounds way better.

IMG-1667.JPG IMG-1665.JPG IMG-1664.JPG

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sense beaucoup confusion in this thread

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Alpine R 6x8's you installed, theirs 3 different levels. But most alpines are lower sensitivity, around 88 decibels for 1 watt of power, which is great if your powering them with at least 50 watts per channel. But unfortunately the head units on even the best Ford units from 2000 till now have only about 15 clean watts per channel at best. The 25-35 wpc advertised is not clean power. Your best bet is to find a head unit that will allow for an external amp like Jl audio, or any quality unit of 40 watts x4 or more to power your Alpines. That or pluck out and return them for something more efficient like 91 db or higher speakers, who told you the Alpines would rock out with low power? Their a very nice speaker, but you'll need to soup them up a bit to sound like they should. High current amplifiers sound best, but are a bit pricey. You'll have to decide what works for you. I've done a ton of speaker/amplifier swaps over the years, most were great, some ehh!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@1955moose There is no aftermarket Headunit that can be used in place of the factory system for the 15+ models at the moment.
The issue being Ford was kind enough to integrate the HVAC controls into the audio system.
While the F150 system has been cracked by aftermarket factory integration companies the Expedition has not.
I have spoken with multiple companies and while they get it to work kind of, they loose the ability to control the rear climate control anymore. They don’t have much interest so no one is really throwing any resources at it.

I am going to do a piggy back system to start using an Android Head unit then better speakers an amp and bypass the factory system.
https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...dashpod-for-an-android-head-unit.38069/page-3

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could still mount a parallel system of some sort for your audio needs

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll that sucks. I guess you'll need to find the highest efficient speakers, say 93 db and go from there. This is what happens when manufactures do the thinking for us, when designing a vehicle. You might be able to do like we did back in the 70's and put an amp on the speaker wires themselves. Back then most head units didn't have pre out Rca Jack's to run a separate amp. It does unfortunately give you a bit of boomy sound, due to piggybacking on top of the head units built in amp. Do your homework and come up with an answer, it's out there. I'm going to check with some of shops here in San Francisco, see what they say.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk