HELP! Dash says "4x4 Shift In Progress" But Selector On 2H!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragbikeracer

Reaction score
Hi all!
Hoping someone has some ideas/suggestions for me. I did try searching, but no issue got close to mine that I could find so....
After driving to work this morning (west central Ohio, icy, etc.) in 2H, no problems, roads weren't bad enough for 4A or 4H. I go back out to run some errands at work, start up, dash shows "4x4 Shift In Progress". I'm still in 2H. Moving selector knob doesn't change anything. Vehicle acts as though its in 4H, because traction on icy parking lot is immediate, and did not act as though it had to sense the sliding and then engage 4wd. Vehicle appears to drive fine, forward-reverse okay, just stuck in 4wd! This is a former state or federal law enforcement vehicle, but I don't believe this issue would be caused by removing any of the extra wiring for lights and sirens, etc. Has worked fine since 9-18, has worked fine shifting back and forth in the snow, too. I bought this unit with 60K miles, and it has 68K miles now.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it! (No, I haven't looked for codes, because the check engine light is on due to phaser issues, and I'm trying to nurse it to warmer weather!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owners manual for mine states that in the event the “4x4 shift in progress” message displays or an unselected mode is displayed to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer immediately.

Something electrical is faulting and commanding 4x4 to engage when not wanted if this is the case. This can cause drivetrain damage.

First things first try to get back into 2WD via switch and consult your manual for the fuse boxes and pull the fuse for 4x4 to stop this ASAP! Your best bet is to just pull the fuse for the “4x4 or 4WD shift motor”.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you turn rather tight in a parking lot do you get any “hop” or clunks from the front end? That’s a dead giveaway your in 4x4.

Spiritdancer11

Reaction score
Did you find out what "4x4 shift in progress" was? What was the cause? Solution? And my 2010 Ford F-150 Triton also reads "Shift delayed pull forward"? If you can help be appreciated.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wayneo