Help Lost key fob while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charlenew1977

Reaction score
Hi, I deliver mail in my 2018 Expedition Max. A couple weeks ago I lost my key Fob while driving. It was in my pocket, and I guess fell out inside the vehicle. I delivered one package out my passenger window. Then got out to deliver to a few boxes in a row. The vehicle honked as of I took the key with me. I thought it was still in my pocket. I got back in and it said no key detected. I looked everywhere outside, the vehicle was all running but wouldn’t go into gear because it couldn’t find the key.

I had a friend bring me my spare key. I’ve looked under and around all the seats, under the mats, etc. The Fob has to be somewhere inside the vehicle. The driver-side doors unlock now by just pulling the handle without the spare key near it.

I spoke to my salesperson and they said that there are several hiding places in the Expeditions and it’s not unheard of. I managed to pull up the cup holder part of my console to look under there but didn’t find it.

Any suggestions??? I’m thinking I will have to get a replacement, but now the problem also is the car can just be unlocked by pulling on either for on the driver side.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's fun.

Depending on drivers seat position, that crack between seat and side of console is an abyss for certain items. Lost a few things on both sides so far, but never the key as it always goes in cup holder. Apparently sometimes the gap on top of the wireless charger door, if closed, is big enough on some of these that it can eat a sliding iPhone. Never know, might be back there.

Keep us posted, this situation would drive me nuts!

OP
OP
C

charlenew1977

Reaction score
I’ve looked in the crack between the seats and console. I’m trying to remove the main part of the console now. I popped up the section w the cup holders under the gear and drive controls and it wasn’t there.

Yes, it’s driving me crazy!!! How is it possible to drive w the key with you and then it vanish and can’t be found to drive....but driver side doors will unlock by pulling them from the outside.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont understand,

if the key was lost in the car, you would not have an issue. it would still start. And run.

I will test. I will put a key in the back hatch area and see if trucks starts.

OP
OP
C

charlenew1977

Reaction score
Yeah you would think that. I know I was driving it w the key when I left the post office. It wasn’t dropped anywhere. I’m wondering if it somehow is underneath the center console or inside the seat.

It was still running when I lost it. Wouldn’t go into gear and said no key found.

When the doors are locked you can walk up to the driver side and just pull either door handle and it unlocks. Doesn’t do this on passenger side.

Eyecando

Reaction score
If the horn honks twice when you try to lock it with another key fob, that means the fob is inside the vehicle. If a key fob is not near the driver's seat, the vehicle can't be started.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, I deliver mail in my 2018 Expedition Max. A couple weeks ago I lost my key Fob while driving. It was in my pocket, and I guess fell out inside the vehicle. I delivered one package out my passenger window. Then got out to deliver to a few boxes in a row. The vehicle honked as of I took the key with me. I thought it was still in my pocket. I got back in and it said no key detected. I looked everywhere outside, the vehicle was all running but wouldn’t go into gear because it couldn’t find the key.

I had a friend bring me my spare key. I’ve looked under and around all the seats, under the mats, etc. The Fob has to be somewhere inside the vehicle. The driver-side doors unlock now by just pulling the handle without the spare key near it.

I spoke to my salesperson and they said that there are several hiding places in the Expeditions and it’s not unheard of. I managed to pull up the cup holder part of my console to look under there but didn’t find it.

Any suggestions??? I’m thinking I will have to get a replacement, but now the problem also is the car can just be unlocked by pulling on either for on the driver side.

Maybe the drivers door pockets? If it inside the car it is somewhere near the outer edge or it would start and go in gear. Is it possible for the key to have been caught in the running boards, roof rack, under the hood, or cowling near the drivers door? I think the car still starts even with the key in the very back if it is actually inside the car.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would concur with the other posters: the double honk means the key left the vehicle while it was running. If it says key not detected, then the key is not in the vehicle.

(I did some tests with the key in various locations of the vehicle, including under the seat, and it started just fine).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni