Help Lost key fob while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what happened to me (I posted it in another thread a while back):

Got to a small local store, put the key in my pocket, went in the store for maybe five minutes. Got back in the car, it said "no key detected". I figured I dropped the key somewhere so I retraced my steps, repeatedly. I couldn't find the key. I only went maybe 150 yards total in the lot and in the store. I used a spare to get home. I posted lost key signs and looked again to no avail. So I bought a $300 replacement key. A week or so after that I put the pants I wore to the store back on. There was the key- but not in the pocket I usually use. It was in a side pocket thigh pocket (like on cargo pants). It worked just fine. It's still a mystery. All can think of is that the key was somehow out of range being in that lower pocket. But I couldn't replicate it.

Like I said, it's a mystery.

My theory. You lost your pants in the store. Somebody knew they were your pants and returned them to your house without you knowing??? Lol.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I looked into this it seemed it is not true for 2019s.
The part about buying a key or programming a new key? If it is the programming then yes you can. The directions are in the Security section on page 81-83 of the 2019 owners manual. It includes both types of keys.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The part about buying a key or programming a new key? If it is the programming then yes you can. The directions are in the Security section on page 81-83 of the 2019 owners manual. It includes both types of keys.

right. I missed that because I only had one key at the point. But now I have almost $1000 in keys, so life is good.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah you would think that. I know I was driving it w the key when I left the post office. It wasn’t dropped anywhere. I’m wondering if it somehow is underneath the center console or inside the seat.

When sitting in the drivers seat, under your right butt cheek is the slide mechanism for the seat as well as a bunch of other shit. Lost a credit card down there that I ended up reporting lost. I'm chalking the loss up to Covid and doing different things with my EDC items when going into the store, etc. Anyway, it wasn't until I ran the seat all the way back and then all the way forward when vacuuming that I found it, well after I got it replaced, etc. Anyway, give under the seat hell with a feel with your hand, mirror (maybe even a leaf blower [emoji23]), etc.

Can you still open the driver's side doors?

We'd love to hear outcome once you do find it...
Good luck!

Last edited:

BartMauldin

Reaction score
I hope I didn’t miss someone suggesting this already. Have you tried leaving your spare in the house and trying to start the vehicle? If it is inside the car then it may have worked it’s way into a position to be detected. Just a thought. If it starts you at least know to keep looking.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Hi, I deliver mail in my 2018 Expedition Max. A couple weeks ago I lost my key Fob while driving. It was in my pocket, and I guess fell out inside the vehicle. I delivered one package out my passenger window. Then got out to deliver to a few boxes in a row. The vehicle honked as of I took the key with me. I thought it was still in my pocket. I got back in and it said no key detected. I looked everywhere outside, the vehicle was all running but wouldn’t go into gear because it couldn’t find the key.

I had a friend bring me my spare key. I’ve looked under and around all the seats, under the mats, etc. The Fob has to be somewhere inside the vehicle. The driver-side doors unlock now by just pulling the handle without the spare key near it.

I spoke to my salesperson and they said that there are several hiding places in the Expeditions and it’s not unheard of. I managed to pull up the cup holder part of my console to look under there but didn’t find it.

Any suggestions??? I’m thinking I will have to get a replacement, but now the problem also is the car can just be unlocked by pulling on either for on the driver side.

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
The "smart key" fob is two things: it's a transmitter that sends an encrypted signal to the vehicle at 315 MHz (in North America) and it is also a passive transponder that replies to an RFID signal emitted from the vehicle at 125 KHz.
If you happen to have a portable radio receiver that will receive a signal at 125 KHz you could try and locate the FOB by listening for its transponder reply....