Help with 4x4 auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both
There is zero chance that the front wheel drive is just slammed together with one side stationary and the other side spinning at high rpm like someone said.
For an actual description.... Read patent US5105902A
Both axles from the diff spin when you select 4 auto and the IWE is like a sliding dog in a motorcycle trans which does slam together. Neither have any synchros in them.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is zero chance that the front wheel drive is just slammed together with one side stationary and the other side spinning at high rpm like someone said.
For an actual description.... Read patent US5105902A

Nobody said anything was stationary. Your hub actuator is spinning with the wheel 100% of the time and the CV axle starts to spin when you shift to 4H. The vacuum is then released and the splines on the actuator mesh up with the CV axle splines as the diaphragm releases it to the axle shaft. The faster you are going the more wear is going to occur when this event happens, because the actuator teeth are soft and sacrificial, and any slight variation besides dead straight varies your front wheel RPM. I’m not going to read through a patent, but I’m pretty certain this is how it works based on my dissection of my old actuators.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Nobody said anything was stationary. Your hub actuator is spinning with the wheel 100% of the time and the CV axle starts to spin when you shift to 4H. The vacuum is then released and the splines on the actuator mesh up with the CV axle splines as the diaphragm releases it to the axle shaft. The faster you are going the more wear is going to occur when this event happens, because the actuator teeth are soft and sacrificial, and any slight variation besides dead straight varies your front wheel RPM. I’m not going to read through a patent, but I’m pretty certain this is how it works based on my dissection of my old actuators.
Hard to understand what people mean to say with their typing. I read vincentrose post to mean that differential not turning in 2H and I think he may be right. But after you shift to 4A it will start spinning and synch with rear rpm then engage front actuators. It would never exactly match in front so I can see how some damage could happen.

patents arent bad. I studied about 10,000 if them over 15 years and if you want to know exactly how something works ... thats the ticket

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That patent from stickler is not for the torque on demand Borg Warner control trac so it means nothing. Again the IWE is merely a dog type connector like motorcycle transmissions have which do "clash" together since there are no synchronizers. As for the IWE being soft and sacrificial I think it is more like they take all the punishment which is good since they are 3 times easier to replace than the Superduty hub actuator and they do well considering the job they have.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
That patent from stickler is not for the torque on demand Borg Warner control trac so it means nothing. Again the IWE is merely a dog type connector like motorcycle transmissions have which do "clash" together since there are no synchronizers. As for the IWE being soft and sacrificial I think it is more like they take all the punishment which is good since they are 3 times easier to replace than the inside of the Superduty hubs and do well considering the job they have.
Wrong again Batman. You trying to set a record for being wrong? Breaking your own record is pointless? Lol

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both

Both axles from the diff spin when you select 4 auto and the IWE is like a sliding dog in a motorcycle trans which does slam together. Neither have any synchros in them.

In a stock Expedition/Navi, no, they do not both spin.*

With a locker/Limited slip, they will, so aside from those so-equipped trucks....

Show me where in the owner's manual it says to NOT engage 4A at any speed. Only while stopped.

Because I looked in mine...it ain't there.

*unless the vehicle is actually going down the road, which is obvious because of the direct connection to the wheel/tire via the IWE.

Not sure what you're trying to argue here. That Ford put a system in that CAN be used in 4A, but also doesn't have to be, but those who use it in 4A on dry surfaces are wrong because you personally don't? Hmmm.

A better argument would be if it was known that putting the selector in AWD while at speed causes it to "slam" the driveline when the front "kicks in", or does it engage slowly s as not to "shock" the front driveline? You yourself have worked on drivelines, so, which is it?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to understand what people mean to say with their typing. I read vincentrose post to mean that differential not turning in 2H and I think he may be right. But after you shift to 4A it will start spinning and synch with rear rpm then engage front actuators. It would never exactly match in front so I can see how some damage could happen.

patents arent bad. I studied about 10,000 if them over 15 years and if you want to know exactly how something works ... thats the ticket

I don’t see his posts anymore unless I press the little button now I see what I missed. My bad.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front diff is not turning in 4 hi but turns when you select 4 auto, then all axles coming from both diffs are synched, then the IWE (strange name) locks the front diff to the front wheels and the front drive is now ready for the computer to control it's usage.

As for blocking people; it reminds me of the ostrich.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Front diff is not turning in 4 hi but turns when you select 4 auto, then all axles coming from both diffs are synched, then the IWE (strange name) locks the front diff to the front wheels and the front drive is now ready for the computer to control it's usage.

As for blocking people; it reminds me of the ostrich.
Front differential is not turning in 4 hi???????
Huh?

Last edited: