Help with 4x4 auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Right, not turning.
Oh I see, you are your own lexicographer.
You decided what the word "turns" means.
You have your own personal only known to you definition of that.
Since it doesn't do whatever "turns" means to you .... must not "turn"

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
W
Oh I see, you are your own lexicographer.
You decided what the word "turns" means.
You have your own personal only known to you definition of that.
Since it doesn't do whatever "turns" means to you .... must not "turn"
Whaaat??????????

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Comedy gold, here.

I think that since we're on an automotive type of forum, that when we use the word "turn", especially in context with an object or objects, that, well, generally rotate, or "turn", if you will, that saying that a rotating part does NOT turn when directly activated and mechanically linked to the rest of the driveline as opposed to turning ONLY when said activation and mechanical (or fluid-type) linkage (in 4A) in this exact instance is both wrong and misleading.

Now, I've been around 4x4 vehicles, mostly Ford and Jeep since I got my "road ticket" over 3 decades ago and have worked on, in, and under every single one of them (I did say jeep, did I not? LOL!), and regardless of t-case type, method of transferring power to the front, via chain, fluid viscosity change, or simple gears, if the vehicle is in motion, the system is in proper working order, and the selector is engaged to activate the t-case and the front driveline, then the axles and ring gear HAVE to rotate.

I have tested this myself on my own '11 Expedition trying to track down a noise. Tires (4) off the ground. In 4H, in drive, idling....guess what? front and rear both turned.

barring broken parts, this can't NOT occur.

Ohio JEA

Reaction score
I have 2012, heavy snow here in OH this winter, so I used the 4 Auto quite a bit. Anyway, now that it's back in 2H - I notice a strange intermittent rattle noise that lasts about 3-4 seconds then goes away. Sounds like it comes from the front left side. Usually under light acceleration, 1400-1600 RPM only. You don't hear it when under load or during quick acceleration. I have taken to mechanic 2 x and they cannot make the sound appear when they test drive. Frustrating. Ideas?