Help with Motor Build Plan_350-400HP N/A 2nd Gen 4.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donl

Reaction score
Planning to build such a motor for my '03Expy and want to collect any thoughts from forum members that may have experience with building up the 2V 4.6L motor.

My first thoughts was, of course, building a nearly stock motor and supercharging but I would only do that if there was a "bolt on" package and I have not been able to find one.

I would not rebuild the motor (160K) that is currently in the vehicle which has been mildly modified with under drive pulleys, electric fans, shorty headers, CAI and a 5 Star tune. I expect HP has been increased from 232 to 250-260; I can hold my own with my workmates later model F-150 EB 5.4L. So I am looking at picking up 100HP, naturally aspirated which I believe doable. Also added 4.10 gears and it moves out smartly but far from a barn burner.

Generally, the plan includes:
-overbore to establish a true bore; .010"-.020"
-increase CR from 9.4 to say 10
-have heads ported or go to aftermarket (one of the best head porters in the country is 45 minutes away and a good friend)
-new intake manifold (no idea what is available)
-mid duration cams, say 235*-240* intake and exhaust
-replace crank with something stronger (no idea what is available; have been told the OEM crank will hold up)
-retain CAI; maybe need to replace with something that flows more air??
-retain shorty headers (I know, full length would help but I don't want to get into modifying the exhaust)
-tune to pull it all together.

Plan B is go to aftermarket for crate motor and heads but haven't researched that option/cost/complications? yet.

Any suggestions from forum members are welcome but don't tell me to replace the 4.6L with a 5.4; not going down that road.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just buy a ecoboost. You’ll save yourself, time, money, and a lot of hassle. Plus you’ll be over your HP goal

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
Just buy a ecoboost. You’ll save yourself, time, money, and a lot of hassle. Plus you’ll be over your HP goal

If you are suggesting replacing the '03 Expy with a later model powered by an Ecoboost, out of the question. Not about to spend $70K to replace the '03. The '03 has been well maintained, recently painted, new 22" wheels/tires plus the recent mods previously mentioned as well as mods over the years including, lowering all around, Bilstein shocks and sway bars, upgraded head unit with navigation, hands free coms, back up camera, new better flowing cats and muffler. $70K vs maybe $10K, no way so replacing is out of the question.

If you are suggesting tranplanting a late model Ecoboost in my '03 Expy, I am pretty sure that would involve ECM changes and all the associated problems. Not going down that road either;)

So, enlighten me on how your solution will save me time, money and hassle.:emotions33:

expy black.5.jpg

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are suggesting replacing the '03 Expy with a later model powered by an Ecoboost, out of the question. Not about to spend $70K to replace the '03. The '03 has been well maintained, recently painted, new 22" wheels/tires plus the recent mods previously mentioned as well as mods over the years including, lowering all around, Bilstein shocks and sway bars, upgraded head unit with navigation, hands free coms, back up camera, new better flowing cats and muffler. $70K vs maybe $10K, no way so replacing is out of the question.

If you are suggesting tranplanting a late model Ecoboost in my '03 Expy, I am pretty sure that would involve ECM changes and all the associated problems. Not going down that road either;)

So, enlighten me on how your solution will save me time, money and hassle.:emotions33:

View attachment 32470
Here. Plenty on here less than $40,000. Fight in San Antonio. Any of these will be better than your “well maintained” 16 year old jalopy

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
16plati said:
Here. Plenty on here less than $40,000. Fight in San Antonio. Any of these will be better than your “well maintained” 16 year old jalopy

Oh, where to begin but I will be brief. I should have pointed out in my first reply to your "get an Ecoboost" reply that you are one of those people that either doesn't read the OP or does read it but decides to post a reply that is not even relative to the OP.

It should have been obvious to anyone reading my OP that if I wanted to replace my "16 year old jalopy" I would not have spent the money to upgrade but would have replaced it. I don't want a ******** Ecoboost.:rolleyes: So, unless you have some suggestions that are relative to my OP, post them. Otherwise go find someone else to bother.

To the Ignore list you go.;)

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score
16plati said:

Oh, where to begin but I will be brief. I should have pointed out in my first reply to your "get an Ecoboost" reply that you are one of those people that either doesn't read the OP or does read it but decides to post a reply that is not even relative to the OP.

It should have been obvious to anyone reading my OP that if I wanted to replace my "16 year old jalopy" I would not have spent the money to upgrade but would have replaced it. I don't want a ******** Ecoboost.:rolleyes: So, unless you have some suggestions that are relative to my OP, post them. Otherwise go find someone else to bother.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far a super charging goes did you want a roots style like a kennel bell or centrifugal like a pro charger?

There are kits for mustang's widely available in both. I have not done a bunch of research on this but you have to think someone out there has done this. It may be as simple as different tubing for the centrifugal (may also require different mounting bracket.

I am going to look around and see what I can come up with.

OP
OP
donl

donl

Reaction score

Thanks, useful information. I am partial to the centrifugal units and wanted a Roush or Pro Charger unit and wanted a "bolt on" solution. I did speak with Pro Charger since their "bolt on" for Expeditions start with the '04 model year; their reply follows:

Thanks for your interest in ProCharger Superchargers. Unfortunately, we do not offer a compatible system for your 2003 Expedition 4.6L at this time, with no plans to offer one in the immediate future. We do offer a supercharger, intercooler and other components that would be properly sized for the horsepower of this application. You would still be responsible for all development and fabrication of the mounting bracket, drive system, charge tubing, and ECU tuning of the vehicle. If you would like to discuss the specific components we have to offer for a universal type application, please give us a call at 913-338-2886

Not knowing what would be required to develop and fabricate, mounting brackets, drive system and charge tubing, I did not pursue that option. I am sure 5 Star could develop a tune, at least a base tune that could be tweaked on a dyno which I do have access to. I would not be doing the work myself but have a very competent and creative tech that I would collaborate with on the project. I suppose it is a viable option that would require further discussion with the Pro Charger guys to get a clearer picture of what would be required to install their base components. Since the project is not immediate, I have not done that yet.

It would be helpful to know what is the difference in the engine compartment of the '04 vs the '03 and if it would be possible to modify the ancillary components of the '04 and adapt them to an '03? Or at least use the '04 components as a guide to fabricating the same components for the '03?

Also have been getting conflicting information on the strength of the '03 crank and how much TQ/HP it could safely handle and, if not, what crank to replace it with?

Anyway, thanks for the information and if you should run across any additional related information, please pass it on.;)

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

First of all, you specifically stated “don’t tell me to replace the 4.6L with a 5.4.” Never said anything about telling you to replace the 4.6L with a 3.5.

Secondly, selling your 4.6L for parts (since that’s what it will be good for) will help you to afford a high teens, low twenties 2015 ecoboost which will cut out time and money in having to do the 9 bullet points you listed in your general idea section of your OP. Plus you’ll get twin turbochargers.

Lastly, rebuilding a ****** engine like the 4.6 is a fools errand. Since you’re in San Antonio, here’s a good quality 3.5L ecoboost that won’t break your bank, and will alleviate your headache of trying to piece together a truck that isn’t worth $2000

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/788319510/overview/