Help with starter/electrical system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattyates12

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD with a 5.4L 330ci engine. I got it about 3 weeks ago in working condition, but ac compressor was bad in it. Over the last 3 or 4 days, I’ve swapped out the ac compressor and accumulator for new ones, and put a new serpentine belt in it. Flushed the system, hooked everything back up and stripped the starter solenoid terminal putting it back up so I went and got a new one. Put it on, started the truck for first time in 3 or 4 days and it started right up and ran and sounded better than before. Let it run for like 15 minutes or so and turned it off. Checked oil, added coolant, went to turn truck on and nothing but a click. Checked all connections, checked all the grounds, everything good. Figured maybe was a bad solenoid, went a bought a second new one, still just a click. I have swapped out every single fuse, every maxi fuse, and changed every powertrain module relay and the powertrain diode. Battery voltage is at 13.2V. Car has power. But the click is actually coming from the solenoid area. Please help.

OP
OP
M

mattyates12

Reaction score
I haven’t had it checked no, but I reconditioned it myself and slow charged it on 2 amps for 30-40 hours. Volt meters reading 13.2v. Its just from April of last year so battery is just now a year old. just doesn’t make any sense for the battery to be bad considering it started right up on my first try after not being started or charged or even connected for 3 days, ran for 10-15 mins then after I shut it off I haven’t been able to start it again. Won’t even turn over. Just a click.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter with an alligator clip on it ? Do a voltage drop test down at the starter when you hit the key to start it ( have an assistant try to start it while you watch the multimeter....). I suspect a bad battery cable or terminal, but a voltage test will confirm it.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or you could get real shade tree and turn on the head lights, try to start it and see if the lights dim. Heck, turn on the interior light and try to start.

OP
OP
M

mattyates12

Reaction score
I’m about to do the voltage drop test. Probably a bad terminal because the B+ Wire to the solenoid slipped off a couple days ago and hit the mounting bolt to the solenoid, solenoid is base grounded. Melted into the negative terminal a decent little chunk.

D Hook

Reaction score
Had the same issue awhile back. Turned out my starter locked up. All I got was a click. Tried jumping and got no response except the click. Charged battery for 30 minutes from other vehicle and no change. Had it towed to the Ford Quick Lane and they said the starter was frozen.

Also, a marginal battery will fail unexpectedly in very hot or vary cold temps. Will start one minute and 30 minutes later be dead. Happened to my neighbor one time.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m about to do the voltage drop test. Probably a bad terminal because the B+ Wire to the solenoid slipped off a couple days ago and hit the mounting bolt to the solenoid, solenoid is base grounded. Melted into the negative terminal a decent little chunk.

How did this happen if you disconnected your ground cable before beginning your work project ?

OP
OP
M

mattyates12

Reaction score
I slipped while messing with the solenoid and pushed the negative cable into the post while the solenoid B+ cable was touching a grounding bolt.