Help with verifying my tow numbers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Guy

Reaction score
There is a very simple way to verify if the vehicle has a tow package and which package. Bring your VIM number to the nearest Ford parts/service place. They can run the VIN which will generate the "pick list" at the factory. On it is which package and the package numbert. Then, consult the owners manual, which are downloadable if you do noit have one, that gives the tow and hitch weights, with and without an equalizer hitch.
I tow 8000/800 and the "book" says 8600 (4X4) with an equalizer; 5000/500 without. By the nway, I have been towing boats since 1969 with many different vehicles. I highly recommend an equalizer hitch. The differnce in ride comfort is very apparent.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
Along with the above info, the easiest way I find to see if you have a tow package is to look for a small aux. cooler in front of the radiator that has factory looking hoses not clamp on aftermarket type.