Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a 33' Grand Design trailer that we had to order because of low inventory. I wish we had towed it before we purchased it. It's a giant sail whenever a big truck passes by. You initially get pulled towards the truck and then pushed as it passes, so it's a bit unnerving. Keeping it under 60mph helps. I'm still dialing in the Blue Ox SwayPro hitch, but I think it's about right. I have very little squat. The tongue weight is around 650lbs and the trailer is close to 7,000lbs the way we have it loaded, so it's well within the towing and payload limits. There's just a lot of surface area that pushes and pulls on the back of the Expy. I might end up looking at an F-250, but I really don't want to give up the third row and the ability to park in the garage. Before this TT we rented a 29' that was closer to 6,000lbs and it towed a bit better. I think the length is the biggest issue.

It's normal with a half ton and a long trailer. I experience the same with my 33 ft, but adjusting the WDH helped, now I barely notice it. I am able to drive with one hand comfortably. Make sure tires are aired properly as well.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted to give an update from my last post after getting your feedback. I loaded more weight in the front of the trailer, lowered the hitch ball so it was level, and tightened the bars one more link on the Blue Ox hitch. We drove 100 miles yesterday and it was sooo much better. There was no sway and I didn’t get pushed around by trucks like I did previously. It was a much more relaxing drive.

Lesson learned: a properly set up hitch and a properly loaded trailer make all the difference.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can u advise what Sumo springs u bought. How well do they really help in your opinion
thanks

Here is a screen shot of the sumos I bought from etrailer. They remove some of (but not all) of the sag, doesnt really tow a whole lot different IMO. No affect on nontowing commutes/errands. I had some on my '09 so I did not hesitate on the '18. I think they are a great value for the money and istallation was a breeze.

etrailer Sumos 2018.jpg

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
Sumo’s just installed. Wasn’t too difficult at all. Just lifted the rear end to get all weight off coil overs and worked to Sumos on.
Haven’t towed yet but I’ll give an update on sag and how it handled (and yes I did clean my independent rear while down there)

A7DE65D2-A199-42B2-8BA7-47C6C363903D.jpeg

0351CF86-6605-4EBF-9454-4CBD18C469B6.jpeg

Last edited:

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
After installing the Sumo Springs, I noticed a significant difference in the rear sag. (Pics Attached) I’d say it brought the rear up 1.5” when it’s loaded with my TT then before.
Pulls great too with everything leveled out.

Daily driving without any load truck sits stock height and I can’t tell they are on.

Best $169 I’ve spent on the Ex

6416A99F-4B98-4702-A3DF-9DF598B64091.jpeg

D70F8C48-815B-4CA1-805F-D69CF398CAE9.jpeg

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After installing the Sumo Springs, I noticed a significant difference in the rear sag. (Pics Attached) I’d say it brought the rear up 1.5” when it’s loaded with my TT then before.
Pulls great too with everything leveled out.

Daily driving without any load truck sits stock height and I can’t tell they are on.

Best $169 I’ve spent on the Ex

View attachment 37383

View attachment 37384
Nice, I am assuming the before is with the WDH adjusted correctly. Did you notice any difference in handling or fuel economy?

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
WDH is the same before and aft. Yes I don’t have precise numbers but it seemed to get a little better gas mileage