High mileage Expys?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Canaris, I think you take the prize so far. Is that original motor? 565k, that's amazing. Diesels have trouble reaching that kind of mileage.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most modern diesels aren't that great in the longevity department. Cost to maintain is higher, fuel costs more, and longevity isn't far apart anymore they are becoming a loser quickly. The older powerstrokes are often outlasted by their gasoline counterparts.

Last edited:

Dongon

Reaction score
1999 4x4 Eddie Bauer 5.4L with headers and everything else @ 228k.
I use only Mobil 1 synthetic oil from Walmart ($25 or so for a 5 quart jug) and a k&n oil filter (better oil pressure) and change around 7500 miles or so.

rhogan308

Reaction score
2002 Eddie Bauer, 5.4 with 398K. I bought it brand new. Still running on the original engine and original transmission. I was told that both would go out before reaching 80K. My father in law strongly suggested I get rid of it at 100K. I have tremendous fun giving him updates on the mileage. My goal is to drive it to 500K.

tack87

Reaction score
2001 5.4 270K.
Runs great. Had to have a fuel pump put in a few months ago.
Now I think I have the infamous cracked intake or something. Its leaking coolant. I see a little coolant leak onto the ground every time I start it after sitting overnight. I drive it 150-200 miles a week and the level in the reservoir goes down about a quart a week. Mechanic said he couldn't tell if it was the intake or a gasket. Said it was mostly labor so it would probably be smarter to change the intake while he was in there. Said the whole job should be under 700. Between being on a budget, living in an apartment (but I could still change the intake in the parking lot), the age and value of the vehicle, I am not sure what to do. Concerned I make the investment of time and money to fix it and the thing gives up the ghost, so I am just living with it for now.

I had the same issue with the coolant, was quoted $800 to change the gasket ,plugs and coils. I did it myself for $400 replacing gaskets, plugs, boots, coils (MSD), and the intake manifold ( which was the problem ). It only took me a week to gather the parts and a weekend to tear down and rebuild. No issues anymore. All of that happened at 168k now at 172k.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As the other old saying about your wife, its cheaper to keep her!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LostExpy88

Reaction score
565k 2001 5.4L Still going strong. Dealt with all the issues. Just bypassed my front heater core.

This is Awesome!! Original engine and Trans? if so thats great to hear.

I have issues with my rear locks but doesn't bother me.

The one thing that i do have is a oil leak I'm thinking its the oil filter adapter I've heard they are the culprit for this location.

I also am planning on pulling the air suspension and putting coils! I plan on lifting her and building an overland and travel rig. Thats the reason i sold my 94 F150 to build an overland rig. My issue is if i buy the conversion kit i will the have to buy extra lift shocks as i will be just using the key and spacer lift for a 3 inch lift.

You guys would be shocked as i have a 2017 fusion that i only have for work as i travel but if i could i would get rid of it and drive the expy.

before when i had my 94 f150 i drove it every where around town and to concerts everyone knew it and the fusion sat. Now i have the stock Expy i still love driving it however its time to get ready to drop the cash to lift her and make her stand out. So if anyone has any advice ill take it as i plan on doing a slow build thread

David Orr

Reaction score
Just picked up a 2000 with 200,000. Runs great.
565k 2001 5.4L Still going strong. Dealt with all the issues. Just bypassed my front heater core.
What is the issue with bypassing the front heater core? Just picked up an 2000 with heater issues.

IMG_2210 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes