High pitched noise from brake peddle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachattack

Reaction score
Has anybody had a high pitched noise coming from their break pedal, not the break itself, when you don’t have your foot on it? If so did you figure out what was causing it?

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt it’s the brake pedal never heard of the pedal making a noise. My three kids, when they got their own cars would drive me crazy saying you hear that noise Dad?? I heard nothing with these old ears and even though they swore their car was about to fall apart their cars lasted way past moving out of the house. It was just a case of really good hearing which young people have. Not to say that’s your problem but it happens to lots of folk. Did you ever find a cause for the noise? Please post the fix if you can.....

OP
OP
zachattack

zachattack

Reaction score
Yes it’s only when the engine is running and when I press on the break it stops. It even stops if I even just put my foot against it. It was still doing it the other night when I put it in park(which it’s never done before) and I didn’t shut it off so I got out and looked under the dash. If I even put my hand on the peddle it stopped but if I pulled on the peddle it got worse. Is there any break booster or something attached to the peddles under the dash?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably a leaking brake booster. You can clamp the rubber hose with a pair of vice grips to block the vacuum with the engine running. Test the pedal to see if it stops.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems like a case of the brake paddle possibly touching against the body under the dash. Yes, the paddle does connect to the master cylinder. I would just trace the brake linkage to see if something is touching either under the dash or on the other side of the firewall. I had a rattle like that on a 70s new car and when I took the door panel off and found two brake tools that were left there at the assembly plant. Rattle stopped. Hope you can find a fix, if not just turn the radio up and the noise goes away....lol..

kramerpage

Reaction score
How about the break pedal height adjustment motor? Could it be trying to adjust and gear is stripped out? That's what mine did but I didn't get a squeal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

creecer

Reaction score
I just had a similar problem. It is most likely a vacuum leak in the brake booster, on the pedal side. I replaced the booster, problem solved. An air ratchet or power ratchet makes the job 10000 times easier. Also, removing the coolant reservoir on the drivers side fender makes it much easier to get the booster in/out.

Jessi

Reaction score
I have a 2004 expedition eddie bauer edition. I have been trying to figure this noise out for a year!!! This high pitch scream hurts everyone's ears the only way I can get it to stop is to tap the breaks! Here lately it's become more frequent and louder, it's awful and we've had no luck figuring out what it is at all! If you found out, please let me know! Thanks