Higher load range for 22's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulbram

Reaction score
I've seen others posting about higher than stock load range, but unfortunately, I have 22's on my Max Platinum (max tow) and as far as I can tell, XL is the only thing out there. Has anyone else out there figured out a way to get a higher load range? Or am I stuck with XL or otherwise dropping down to a smaller tire?

Assuming I am stuck, what's the best XL tire out there for towing? My stock Hankook's have been wearing VERY fast it feels like. Unfortunately, I am pushing the limits a bit with my 7500lbs RV. Mainly it's my tongue weight which is pretty much putting me right at my rear axle weight limit.

I'm actually rather happy with the performance/feel while towing. We've taken our RV from Seattle to Chicago, Florida, Texas and back. It's performed amazingly well, but my tires are very much worse for wear!

Thanks

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be fine with the 22 wheel with the Michelin LTX series tire, and proper tongue weight with a weight distributing hitch.
It has a Load Index of 114H = 2600.lbs each x 4 = a total of 10400 .lbs, which is above your GVWR. Check your driver door spec. sticker.
If you feel you need more than that, then Yes, you will have to run a smaller wheel.
The 18" LTX jumps to a Load Index of 121 = 3195 .lbs each x 4 = 12780, way above your GVWR.
The 20" LTX has several widths over 126 Load Index = 126 = 3750.lbs each, or 15000 lbs total

OP
OP
P

paulbram

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like these have the same load index as my existing Hankook's. Do you think the Michelin LTX would ultimately handle the load better? Or is 114H from one the same as 114H from the other?

I've also been thinking about some AT tires, such as Nitto ridge grappler, BFG trail-terrain etc, but the priority really is towing so don't want to sacrifice that for the few times I decide to go off-road.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being from Texas, the Michelin LTX series is the lowest cost per mile. Great ride& handling wet or dry, better MPG & braking, less noise.
Been running them for decades on personal & fleet vehicles. If you get them, I guarantee you will say...why didn't I get these sooner.
Not sure about your snow conditions in Seattle, they do great in the 2 or 3 snows Dallas gets.
With F350 PowerStrokes, I have towed with them all over the US in various snow conditions, never had any issues.