Hitch mount/Roof cargo carriers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at options for hauling extra stuff for the family when going camping or the in laws house boat.

Being we didn't find an EL we liked and settled on a standard length expedition we are a bit shy in storage space when the whole family is loaded up and looking at options for some extra gear so we dont have to rely on packing in another vehicle thats traveling along.

I've never had an external cargo carrier of any type. I was unaware until just today they make enclosed hitch mount options which I'm guessing would save considerably on drag/fuel economy over a roof mount option as well as have easy access.

Being weatherproof is an obvious must. Not terrible concerned about security as it would be very unlikely sit overnight without being unloaded. If it's broken into in broad daylight it was probably going to happen anyway. We would likely store the more bulky items that are less sensitive to weather in there...chairs, foldable table, stove, cooler, etc. Unlikely we'd make a trek across country or anything, I'd rent a Max first.

Any recommendations or experiences good/bad out there?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used a roof top carrier for years now and as long as you have it as far back as possible with no over hang over the front windshield you’ll have no clue it is there. I have had it on an Explorer, Highlander, Sienna, and Expedition and lost no noticeable mpg.
They hold lots of stuff and are great for the beach to keep sandy stuff out of the car and skiing to keep ice and snow out.

I bought mine off Craigslist for $70 it is a SportRack model which is Thule’s economy line. It was brand new.
SportRack Horizon Cargo Box (Alpine, 11 Cubic Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCLL7C6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JPtsEb767TYZK

SportRack uses different mounting hardware that takes a little more time to mount than the Thule’s or Yakima’s but they are rock solid mounts.

They are so useful I’d gladly spend the 4-$500 if I could not find one used.

I have driven through some pretty nasty rain storms and all was dry as could be upon arrival.

We use the hitch for the bike rack so I have no experience with the hitch mounted ones.
Plus the hitch mounted ones I have seen are at least $200 more.

TheNoid

Reaction score
Interested in hearing what others use, as well. I've got a Max but have a family vacation scheduled in the summer with the in-laws where I'd like to be able to use all 8 of the seats and still have room for a week's worth of everyone's luggage.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s probably more than you want to spend, but this is what we use. Holds plenty of luggage and we never have to search for services when the kids inform us of nature’s call. And it’s perfect for camping trips.

DC3398BC-5456-4AF9-AF10-26F36AF8D9D6.jpeg

OP
OP
Aspen03

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the swing-away model. Its built like a tank. Worth every penny. I bolted some shelf angles to it and use a job box instead of that expensive box

I do like the idea of the swing away, being able to access the hatch would be even better with that extra storage. They're fairly proud of that one I have to agree but it does look nice. I hadn't though of using a job box. Got a fabricator in the family so that wouldn't be difficult at all.

I have zero desire to tow a a camper. If I'm camping, if you cant carry it, it doesn't go. The little opportunity I get to camp I prefer primitive, backpacking especially, makes a nice way to just get away from literally everything. Kids and wife aren't into it much so it works out the couple days a year I get a chance.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got a Thule cargo box. I’ve had it for 12-13 years. It’s been on a bunch of vehicles.

Being on the roof may cost you some MPGs, but it’s not much. I wouldn’t let that be the deciding factor.

Have to be careful of garages with the cargo box. At home, I leave the ladder I use to get it off the shelf above the truck deployed and in the way so I don’t drive into the garage when I return home.

No experience with the swing away boxes for the hitch. They look kind of big and storage between use might be an issue.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do like the idea of the swing away, being able to access the hatch would be even better with that extra storage. They're fairly proud of that one I have to agree but it does look nice. I hadn't though of using a job box. Got a fabricator in the family so that wouldn't be difficult at all.

I have zero desire to tow a a camper. If I'm camping, if you cant carry it, it doesn't go. The little opportunity I get to camp I prefer primitive, backpacking especially, makes a nice way to just get away from literally everything. Kids and wife aren't into it much so it works out the couple days a year I get a chance.
20200219_151002.jpg 20200219_150945.jpg

OP
OP
Aspen03

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, take 2 on this thread. Our adventures were cut short last year due to obvious reasons and we didn't make the investment due to it likely just sitting and gathering dust, figured money in the bank was better given the circumstances as well. We're back at it and still in the market for one of these and it seems there are considerably more manufacturers than I initially thought, along with a very wide range in cost.

I've done quite a bit more research in the meantime and looked at the replies here as well. I think I'm leaning towards that Stowaway2 Max but still exploring options. I like the idea of the mount for it can be exchanged for a bike rack and other options. It's on the higher side at $800 but seems to be as close to bulletproof as you'd get in design and usability.

@Black The mileage thing isn't a huge factor but if it's one of those things where the math makes sense over a decade and it's actually cheaper w fuel savings why not go with the larger box. The 2 other hold backs on a roof mount would be I would be clearance at random things like drive throughs, its a real issue these days when you can't go inside, normally I'd never go through one. The other is wife is barely 5'2" and would really struggle to use it without a ladder. She is a troop leader for girl scouts and the hitch mount design would allow easier access and get more use out of this thing rather than just our 3-4 trips to the boat or what have you a year. Storage could be an issue as I've seen in other reviews. Its a big boy...

Does anyone have a Rola, or a remote chance here, the GearSpace 34 from LetsGoAero? It's a monster and can hold a pair of bikes, fully enclosed which would be pretty neat on occasion. Its outlandishly expensive for a box BUT if I'd use it for more and it's something that is going to last many years it would be considered. It does offer more than 2x the space and nearly 2x the weight capacity of the StowAway2 as well. It's a bit north of $2k. Yes I know a small cargo trailer could be had for that but then you have storage, registration, maintenance, etc.

https://www.rolaproducts.com/mobile...-hitch-mount/uHvTF2JB0IMsVeSPeizRYQbSPK08Za76

https://letsgoaero.com/gearspace-cargo-carrier-dark-gray/

The LetsGoAero GearDeck seems unique with a clamshell type closure allowing you to get the heavier, larger items in/out without having to lift up and over. My only concern would be load shifting and when you open it all spills out. We also load at the boat ramp from time to time if it's late and can just take the Jonboat up there rather than walk a half mile with a noisy cart and I won't be in the way. Doing that on an incline wouldn't be fun.

https://letsgoaero.com/geardeck-slideout-cargo-carrier-with-led/