hood lifts not strong enough....help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ll2none

Reaction score
just got a 2001 xlt, truck is clean. it only has 28k miles on it.. already replaced the hood with a all steel cowl hood.. the lifts wont hold the hood up.. any body found stronger struts.. i've tried the turbolifts, cant remeber the model number , but they were some where here on the forum..

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
use a piece of wood to hold it up. it works every time. other wise idk what to use. why go with a steel cowl hood though? is it lighter than a fiberglass one?

OP
OP
L

ll2none

Reaction score
hood supports

so i went to autozone and found what i need... i guess the stock hood is not made of steel, and they list a strut for the truck with a steel replacement hood. its a little bit thicker... works great... price is $25

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will the hood struts for the steel hood work on the fiberglass hood or will they be too strong? They seem to be the same size but are half the price of struts for fiberglass hood at Avance Auto Parts. Thanks

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The struts are made by Strong Arm. Just don't want to need strong arms to close the hood. :Dsteelstrut.jpg

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I knew it wasn't steel as the magnet didn't stick. Should of known it was metal though. I am going to try the stronger strong arms. Let you know how it works out.