How are the Different Horsepower Rating for the 3.5 EcoBoost Accomplished?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxie

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the different horsepower rating between the Expedition XLT/Limited rated at 375 horsepower, the Expedition Platinum rated at 400 horsepower and the Navigator rated at 450 horsepower. Is this difference accomplished strictly through different tunings to the 3.5 EcoBoost or are there actual mechanical differences between the engines, such as different cams, heads, turbos, etc.?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it truely is just tuning, hopefully you can change it, although engines tuned out less generally are more reliable/ last longer so maybe it’s wise to keep the 375 HP tune.... depends on how long you plan to keep your truck and what you plan to do with it.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Poke around on some of the Audi forums and aftermarket tunes. I've had an S4 and an S7, both with twin turbo engines. Tons of tuning options out there and gains of 70+ HP are easy. I stayed stock as I was always still under the 50K warranty. With Audi, you run the risk of getting your VIN flagged with a TD1, which in a nutshell says they will deny any warranty work they deem as caused by the tuning. In some cases voiding your entire warranty. Not sure if Ford is as stringent. As we have seen, 400+ HP is in these engines, I think they keep it conservative for long term reliability is my guess.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forced induction motors always respond wonderfully to tuning. timing, fuel and boost!!!!!! I have a Livernois tune on my Explorer Platinum and it is something else. I mean seriously something else. If you build boost and launch at 2500 RPM with traction control disabled.............Most people have never felt a vehicle accelerate like that, much less a 7 passenger SUV!!! LOL. I pulled a car length from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. That alone made it worth the money i spent!

Livernois was great to work with, very talented, responsive, etc.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Forced induction motors always respond wonderfully to tuning. timing, fuel and boost!!!!!! I have a Livernois tune on my Explorer Platinum and it is something else. I mean seriously something else. If you build boost and launch at 2500 RPM with traction control disabled.............Most people have never felt a vehicle accelerate like that, much less a 7 passenger SUV!!! LOL. I pulled a car length from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. That alone made it worth the money i spent!

Livernois was great to work with, very talented, responsive, etc.
Aside from our bickering now, did you see any fuel economy gain with livernois tune or do you just have a performance tune for the explorer?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i dont know. if it did, i have never realized it because when i drive, i am on the peddle. i would say it is not worse. i do have the 93 performance tune.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s all done with tuning. The Ford website even says the platinum gains more power through tuning.

I just tuned my 17 yesterday and it’s awesome

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A word of caution. Some manufacturers will use the engine design for different power outputs but will very carefully control the tolerances for the higher performance versions. (You can use different parts, or you can just screen them as they come off the line...) Subaru for instance has used this trick for their STI Imprezas. A friend of mine learned a very expensive lesson when he went from an STI to a normal Impreza and assumed "same engine design, so it must have the same oil change schedule, right?"

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 2019 "Bullitt" Mustang is 475hp. The $80K? Lincoln, should have this motor.