How can I remedy an imbalance in my Expy's weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait a sec..

You said you had struts and whatnot replaced, yeah?

Was an alignment done after that?

Just having 400 pounds extra weight on the rear (extra) shouldn't affect the steering that much.
I've got probably close to that on the rear of my explorer, what with jack, tire tool, subs and amps and it doesn't even make it squat, and that's with struts of unknown vintage.

I put new struts and front upper control arms on the expedition about 2 weeks ago and it was a little squirmy until I finally got in to the alignment shop and had 'er straightened up.

But, if there's enough weight that it unloads the front, it WILL make the steering light. That's why I was suggesting the spacers in back. But in re-reading your original post, you said there's no visible rake. My guess is the alignment is out. If it's not got visible rake, then the weight on the back isn't the contributing factor in my opinion. But I may be wrong. Food for thought, sir?

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait a sec..

You said you had struts and whatnot replaced, yeah?

Was an alignment done after that?

Just having 400 pounds extra weight on the rear (extra) shouldn't affect the steering that much.
I've got probably close to that on the rear of my explorer, what with jack, tire tool, subs and amps and it doesn't even make it squat, and that's with struts of unknown vintage.

I put new struts and front upper control arms on the expedition about 2 weeks ago and it was a little squirmy until I finally got in to the alignment shop and had 'er straightened up.

But, if there's enough weight that it unloads the front, it WILL make the steering light. That's why I was suggesting the spacers in back. But in re-reading your original post, you said there's no visible rake. My guess is the alignment is out. If it's not got visible rake, then the weight on the back isn't the contributing factor in my opinion. But I may be wrong. Food for thought, sir?
I’ve got to agree it’s an alignment issue. I’ve towed numerous times with a substantial amount of tongue weight and have never felt what’s described. I also use a hitch basket often hauling heavy stuff and never a symptom.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
WHen you check the alignment also check the rear suspension parts. Any damage to rear bushings can cause the rear to wander and you'll go nuts trying to steer straight or find the problem. Ask anyone who has owned an Excursion.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's exactly what was wrong with mine. Then one night we decided to go out to eat, and a couple of friends went with us. It was slick. We made it about a mile before we turned back and got in the Explorer, the expedition felt like it was about to break the rear loose and do 360s in the snow. VERY confidence inspiring.

Yeah, once it was aligned though, full speed ahead, balls out, no worries.

Plati

Reaction score
This one is way over my head but a thought I had was that when I removed all the second row seats and the 2/3 seat in 3rd row ... that took a lot of weight out. The Expy certainly felt lighter and more nimble after that. Remove seats to remove weight?

Run with gas tank 1/4 full? A gallon of gazoline is 6 pounds. 21 gallons is 126 pounds.

Remove the spare tire? I carry no spare tire in my 2003. It's rusted beyond belief and I didnt want it getting worse. I only drive local and it can be fetched from home if ever needed. I suppose you could strap it on roof too. That would not only remove weight from rear but add weight forward. A 2'fer. I hate the thought of a spare tire flying off the roof in an accident though.

Another thought (kinda bizarre though) is I recalled when I used to work on an oval track late model race car (long time ago) ... they had big lead weights they would bolt in specific locations on the chassis to manage weight distribution... I think that was for always turning left.

Main thought I had which is also probably not practical is buy the correct vehicle for the task. If the Expy is not working out ... I assume some other vehicle is better?

just brainstorming

Last edited:

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you have already ditched the 3rd row seat, I would ditch the spare, the Jack and the crank mechanism for lifting the spare. You are calling AAA anyway. Get rid of weight aft of the rear axle.

Take the vehicle to a commercial scale and get weight for each corner measured.

You might find you can run a couple lbs less air in the rear tires if you are well below gross vehicle weight.

But do get the entire steering and suspension checked out because these vehicles have problems enough with worn steering gear.

Also, my Expy loses traction in rear when the tires get old. The rubber hardens and making a u turn under power causes oversteer.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Start looking for a commercial van. The Expedition is not up to this task.

Only solution is to balance the weights on each end. (1) decrease weight on the rear or (2) increase weight on the front and it appears neither is gonna work.

700 pounds on the trailer hitch is like towing a 7000 pound trailer which requires a weight distribution hitch to put weight back on the steering axle to avoid that "floaty" feeling. WDH won't work without a trailer, though, and springs, airbags, and other devices/gimmicks on the rear axle can "level" the truck but that's merely visual and the front end will still be light. Gimmicks that work on pickups -- where the weight is between the axles -- don't work when the weight is outside the axles hanging off the rear bumper.

Please note that if you add 700 pounds the the front axle you'll exceed the capacity of the truck which, if it's like my '17 only has a maximum cargo and passenger weight capacity of a bit over 1400 pounds.

-- Chuck

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It might help to look for a lighter carrier. A rack weighing 400 pounds might weigh less if you can find an aluminum one.

I had a powered carrier, with a swing away arm to access the rear. I eventually removed the swing away arm. That helped some. Then I went to a drive on, non powered aluminum carrier. All went fine after that. The only solution is to reduce weight.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.coilsprings.com/ will make you a set of stiffer springs to fit your specific application. I had a set of 900# springs made for my 2010 with +1" ride height and they're perfect.

Price came in under $500 shipped and installation took me about 2 hours in the driveway. I'm familiar with the process of swapping coils and have all the tools on hand but it's still not a big job.

Fill out their online form and it should get you close to where you want to be. When I did it they followed up for some further clarification before moving forward. My truck tows beautifully now.