How capable would you consider your 4x4 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's actually irritating how good it is for a big ole truck.

First truck was a diesel F-250HD, ride worse than a dump truck, but nothing would stop it, I took it everywhere in the mountains. Always the tank of the group loaded with everyone's fuel, extra gear, tents, firewood you name it. More weight just meant more traction. This thing just walks up half the obstacles my old truck would triumphantly conquer, sometimes with drama, like it's nothing sitting on leather seats with the air-conditioning on like it's pulling up to my kids daycare, just another Tuesday.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just drove the wife and kids around in the Mesa. Lots of deep washes sand and some mud from all the rain we've been having. Buried the rear axle in a wet sandy wash. 4low pulled er right out.

That's awesome.

Do any of the Expy's have locking differential? If no, does anyone feel like they miss it?

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory LS in the back end of mine. Gonna upgrade it to a Detroit when I build up the rear end.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It takes a wee bit of motivation ie. right foot application, but it works. Like my ole diesels ls, it'll work, when you make it.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's awesome.

Do any of the Expy's have locking differential? If no, does anyone feel like they miss it?

The LS works good enough. If I get 2 wheels off the ground I have to work the brake to transfer tourque. I've got an idea I'm gonna try with the LS, but I keep putting off. Anyway I'm not going rock crawling any time soon

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard a commonish mod is to take it apart and shove more clutch material in. Think it was the Jeep guys who do that.

Well sheeit...that's what my plan is. Where the hell were you when I posted this question 2 or 3 months ago? Glad to know it's been done because I wasn't sure it was going to work.
:waytogo:

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2-3 months ago? Deep into rebuilding the front end of my truck and leveling it, and letting all this info rattling around in my head annoy my wife instead of getting it out here lol.

Link right here with a how-to and easy to follow pictures. Just replace mustang with Expedition when reading it out loud to yourself same 8.8 rear end in both vehicles. Link even includes a link to a high performance clutch pack replacement.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-88-traclok-kit-cust-install.html