How capable would you consider your 4x4 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very. I’ve gushed about it before on different threads but I’ve gone into every 4x4 situation a little pessimistic, coming from a lifted Tacoma as my last 4x4, and every time I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2000 which was used for responding to accidents and just bought a 2008 for a personal driver. The 2000 was fabulous in the snow and could hold its own on the beach. Great on railroad tracks and over rough access roads. I didn't expect the 2008 to be a match but it's proving itself to be just about as good as the 2000.

Michael McC

Reaction score
To the original question of off road capability, I had a 2003 FX4. I now have a 2016 King Ranch. I have done hundreds (maybe a couple thousand) of miles in 4wd on Texas beaches and elsewhere. I have driven Jeeps, Ramchargers, Broncos, Suburbans, Blazers, International Scouts...

The Expedition does a great job as a 4wd compared to any of these, with one exception. If you start to dig in, you get high centered. You have to lift it. Spring spacer lifts are a few hundred bucks. Labor about the same. Get taller tires as well to get the control arms off the ground.

Get the 3.73 gears so it isn't a dog with taller tires. You will lose acceleration and towing ability, so start with better gears.

Love the 4-wheel independent suspension. Hate that the front end starts to rattle after you beat it up a little. I replaced parts in the front end of my 2003 over and over, and finally sold it because it rattled at the slightest bump. Same engineering in the 2016 as far as I can tell. Trying to be more gentle with this one.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the original question of off road capability, I had a 2003 FX4. I now have a 2016 King Ranch. I have done hundreds (maybe a couple thousand) of miles in 4wd on Texas beaches and elsewhere. I have driven Jeeps, Ramchargers, Broncos, Suburbans, Blazers, International Scouts...

The Expedition does a great job as a 4wd compared to any of these, with one exception. If you start to dig in, you get high centered. You have to lift it. Spring spacer lifts are a few hundred bucks. Labor about the same. Get taller tires as well to get the control arms off the ground.

Get the 3.73 gears so it isn't a dog with taller tires. You will lose acceleration and towing ability, so start with better gears.

Love the 4-wheel independent suspension. Hate that the front end starts to rattle after you beat it up a little. I replaced parts in the front end of my 2003 over and over, and finally sold it because it rattled at the slightest bump. Same engineering in the 2016 as far as I can tell. Trying to be more gentle with this one.

So you think the Expy performs better than a Suburban in off road capabilities? Can you elaborate please?

Also, when you mentioned the 3.73 gears, I thought the does help with both acceleration and towing? Or were you referring to the larger tires making the vehicle loose some acceleration and towing capability?

Michael McC

Reaction score
Larger tires reduce towing and acceleration. Bigger gears regain that for you.
What he said.

My '94 Suburban did pretty good off road, but I like the Expedition more because of the 4-wheel independent suspension and the shorter wheel base. Much tighter turning radius as well, but the front end groans at full lock.

So the Expedition is lighter, shorter wheel base (less likely to high center over bumps), and more flexible with the independent rear suspension. I felt like the Suburban would take more abuse, though. The front end on the Expedition is not well engineered, in my opinion. Also, the control arms drag through whatever you bog down in.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t wait till we get some nicer weather again. Cabin pic, yep these trucks plow through whatever you throw at em. This was nothing, but it’s the only pic I have of it off the road.
38809354-1D0A-4AE3-92FE-C0AF238E1ABC.jpeg

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 has been pretty good offroad. It has mainly been on forest roads in the mountains near big bear. I've had the dirt road disappear on me at 30mph and all it did was lose the front license plate. Left a pretty good gash in the road where the front tow hooks dug in. I've also taken it in the mud, up in azusa canyon. It did fairly well on getting stuck once. But over all it has been a capable offroader.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 03 has been pretty good offroad. It has mainly been on forest roads in the mountains near big bear. I've had the dirt road disappear on me at 30mph and all it did was lose the front license plate. Left a pretty good gash in the road where the front tow hooks dug in. I've also taken it in the mud, up in azusa canyon. It did fairly well on getting stuck once. But over all it has been a capable offroader.

What kind of tires do you use for off roading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk