How capable would you consider your 4x4 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with mine. It is very stable on slippery roads and it handles gravel roads like I'm on pavement. Just noisier. :)

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Stock, my 2011 was a dog because of high centering. I travel remote desert locations for work, and if I can't drive, then I have to walk. About 10,000 miles ago I lifted 2" with some coil spring spacers and put 33.5 tires on (Hercules 10 ply), plus a skid plate. WOW, what a difference.Copy of Expe 2011.jpg

Someone reported on this forum, or the other one, that turning off "Traction Control" locks both differentials. Makes sense, because even the manual says to turn it off if you get stuck. Can't confirm what actually happens when you hit the button though - but it sure seems counter-intuitive to turn traction control off to get better traction.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't confirm what actually happens when you hit the button though - but it sure seems counter-intuitive to turn traction control off to get better traction.

If you think about traction control as designed for on the road, then turning it off makes sense off road.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all - newbie here. just joined the forum, getting back to a good 4x4.

I'm curious about tire width.
what's the widest tire that can be mounted on a 2nd gen Expy without rubbing the fender liner, or the frame and steering at full lock in both directions? My plan now is to install the 3/2 spacer lift, maybe with another inch from the F150 Gibson shock, and a small body lift if i ever find one. any comments / input would be appreciated before I start spending money.
this is on a 2004 XLT SSV 4x4 5.4 with 3.73 and limited slip, under 100K. I'm planning on using Wranglers as tall as I can get them on such a lift, so between 33 and 35 inches, I think.

One concern I have is the right front drive shaft. I was surprised at how small the axle tube coming out of the right side of the diff was - it makes me think the axle itself cannot be more than 1" in diameter. How would that handle larger tires? Are there stouter replacements?
For that matter, are there beefier components for the entire front end and steering?

thanks for your time.
jg

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First gen 4X4 had 8.75 inch ground clearance. My 3rd gen has 8.70. The 2018 Navigator has 9.6 inch ground clearance for 4X4, 9.7 for 2WD.

Practice is at 7 tonight, its your turn to bring the Gator Aid.

the 2nd gen 4x4 has 8.9" of clearance.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pumpkin is lowest point. In deep snow, it leaves a mark. In 2003 Ford switched to controversial, Independent rear end setup. That is why, you see similar ground clearance. I was referring to body height. Bottom of door to ground, top of tire to fender. The original UN93 body shared F150 parts. It was more truck like. In 2003, designers lowered the body. The main reason, was to accommodate, short, women drivers and children. The hope was to sell more, but sales dropped. People that love and drove the 1st gen, preferred the original setup, including women. The 2018 is proof, Ford has further departed from the original design.

I don't understand the focus on body height. "Bottom of door to ground, top of tire to fender." what's the point? if a lift doesn't enable taller tires for increased ground clearance, then what are you getting for your money? I would think the most important feature of a lift is how tall a tire it allows for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze