How do I just run the radio with engine off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to just run the radio on my 2018 Expedition without running the heat/ac, dash, etc? Is there any way to just run the radio like a normal car, or is this electronic nightmare not capable of such a thing?
One press of the key turns everything on, I just want the radio on like every other car would do.

Anyone?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so you don't even NEED A KEY to turn the radio on????????? Great idea, wtf! So my kids can climb in there in the garage and blast the radio until the battery is drained down...
This thing is so smart it can't even put the wipers down when you shut it off with the wipers on. lol. I'm not sure if I should be amused, or scared at all these stupid quirks! lol.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really stays on even after the 10 minute auto shutoff? I haven’t even tried it. Heading on a trip Sat for couple weeks and that might be something a person could use around the campfire. Thanks.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to just run the radio on my 2018 Expedition without running the heat/ac, dash, etc? Is there any way to just run the radio like a normal car, or is this electronic nightmare not capable of such a thing?
One press of the key turns everything on, I just want the radio on like every other car would do.

Anyone?

Did you fully read the vehicle owner’s manual?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. There is two accessory modes for the keyless-start. If you push the button one time (foot off of the brake pedal), all of the features are turned on. A second push turns off all the features you mentioned, but leaves the vehicle in accessory mode - to use the radio or power windows. A third push turns the system off.

My GM vehicle has only two positions for the keyless start / accessory system. On or off.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you fully read the vehicle owner’s manual?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. There is two accessory modes for the keyless-start. If you push the button one time (foot off of the brake pedal), all of the features are turned on. A second push turns off all the features you mentioned, but leaves the vehicle in accessory mode - to use the radio or power windows. A third push turns the system off.

My GM vehicle has only two positions for the keyless start / accessory system. On or off.

I didn't read the whole owners manual, but I specifically read the key section last night. It says pressing the button once turns all power on, which is NOT what I want. It also says pressing on twice turns accessory power on, BUT mine turns on with press #1 and turns back off with press #2, so if I open the door to get out, then it shuts the radio off. I just wanted to listen to the radio while I installed my mud flaps and waxed it..... I didn't try the 10 minute timer on the radio, but I'll have to try that now....

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole owners manual, but I specifically read the key section last night. It says pressing the button once turns all power on, which is NOT what I want. It also says pressing on twice turns accessory power on, BUT mine turns on with press #1 and turns back off with press #2, so if I open the door to get out, then it shuts the radio off. I just wanted to listen to the radio while I installed my mud flaps and waxed it..... I didn't try the 10 minute timer on the radio, but I'll have to try that now....
I believe you still have to have the fob in the vehicle with you to press the radio power button. So if your rogue offspring go into the garage to listen to the radio (as kids do), they won't be able to do so without your key...which is no different than a "regular" car.

So grab your key, get in the vehicle, and press the power button on the radio...NOT the ignition button.