How do I prime 5.4 triton remand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello all, I’ve recently purchased and installed a remand 5.4 triton. I do not want to damage this motor, so any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To prime the engine disable the fuel pump by removing the fuse for the fuel pump. With a fully charged battery crank the engine no more than 30 seconds then let the starter cool for no less than 2 minutes. Repeat this two or three times and the lubrication system should be ready to go.
Reinstall the fuse for the fuel pump. If you have a fuel pressure gauge install it on the fuel rail. Cycle the ignition key from off to run to prime the fuel rail. This will take a few times since the pcm will only energize the fuel pump circuit for 2-3 seconds each time. Once you see pressure on the gauge start er' up.
If you have a removable fuel pump relay you can also jump 30 to 87 or 87a to power the fuel pump directly and avoid the ignition key method.

OP
OP
craig sargood

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve heard that this is a bad way to do this, I read that you could pump oil into engine through the oil pressure sensor hole also, no trying to not trust you, just want to make sure I’m doing it right.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good engine builder will use assembly lube on the bearings & journals during assembly or at least coat them with oil. Spinning the engine to prime the oil passages isn't any different than spinning it during assembly - you're just using the starter.
If the spark plugs are out of the heads you can also shoot a little oil in the cylinders to lube the rings. The cylinders and pistons are normally coated with oil at time of insertion. It will smoke like a chimney when it first fires up though.
I prefer to let the engine idle and come up to temp when first started. This gives you time to check for any leaks or unwanted sounds before stabbing the throttle.

Think about this - you go on vacation for 2-4 weeks. The car at home isn't started for that time. All the oil has drained back into the pan. When the engine is cranked and first fires up, you have 0 oil pressure. It takes 1 - 2 seconds for the oil pressure to build. Are the engine internals damaged doing this?

AMG Engine assembly :

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, if you want to pump oil in the port there is nothing wrong with that method. You would have to source a pump, lines and fittings. What would you do with it afterwards?

916hawk

Reaction score
i used a chemical sprayer full of new oil and a barbed ntp air hose fitting through the oil pressure sensor hole. Spun it with a ratchet while the canister bled down. Did it until the dip stick registered topped up oil installed the plugs started right up. Way cheaper than Air compression tank and got in at least 50 revolutions with no "stress" on the system. I did coat everything with oil as I put it back together. My motor suffered a blown head gasket and bent rod from a cylinder full of coolant /water.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Eliminat...hucq1dT9-t9dMQ0l2jekV0EBvthck5xIaAhEzEALw_wcB

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After re-reading this for fun, I see "it" very differently....You got this Craig, you just needed to be sure....but heck, you swapped an engine...something that 99% of the folks in this country couldn't do. I doubt that happened either by accident or without years of prior "mechanics" work....yeah, you got this.

jeff