How Does a Vehicle Go Out of Alignment?? Questions, if you Don't Mind.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer 4wd Expedition. It's got 112K on it. Up until a few weeks ago it has stayed in alignment pretty much. That changed when I was leaving the local convenience store in the snow. I didn't know the lot very well and everything was covered with snow and I ended up hitting the drivers side on a curb. I think the only thing that was hit was the tire. Nothing else hangs that low.

After that small ding, my steering wheel is now off center. Instead of being nice and level, like it is supposed to be, the wheel is now oriented at 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock. When I drive it, it's VERY squirrely above 45mph. It pulls to the left and sometimes it gets downright scary to drive. I've got to get it fixed.

What I don't understand is what went out of alignment to cause this? I had both tires off yesterday trying to replace the Upper Control Arms and Tie Rod end, but was unable to remove one of the bolts that secures the control arm. I looked at these part and nothing was broken or even bent yet my car is out of whack.
I watch these YT videos where the people say you can align your vehicle pretty close to normal yourself. It is usually them adjusting the Tie Rod End on each side. Both of those bushings have a rather long threaded piece that screws onto the end of the tie rod. They haven't moved. Not a thing looked out of sorts, but it is.

Can you all tell me how it could've went out of alignment when those parts underneath appear just as they did before I hit the curb? If the tie rod ends do need adjustment, I can certainly do that, but it seems like I'd have to put several turns on whatever one is causing the problem to get the steering wheel back to being straight across and the car driving and handling like it should.

Please help if you can. I NEED it.
Thanks

Larry

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Hey Larry
Chances are you bent something when you nudged the curb. It could be control arms, inner or outer tie rods (the threaded bar attached to your tie rod end is the inner, end is outer)
Obviously you are interested in doing this yourself - so - to me it sounds like the left side is bent out, requiring you to oversteer to the right to account for it.
Realistically, if that's all that happened you could replace the bent items, then pay $75 for an alignment. I've seen the videos too, they are ONLY enough to get you to the shop. Anyone who says they can align that way is a fool waiting to find it out.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Oh - and its dangerous at 45+ because your two front tires are attempting to go different directions - that's not good.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the inner tie rod ends for play. They wear out quicker than anything else under there affecting alignment. If they're the original inners I can guarantee you they are worn out.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Either something bent slightly, or an adjustment slipped or a part is worn.

You can align a car yourself with some basic alignment tools -- that's how it was done for many decades. But you need a very level surface, some good knowledge and real good alignment tools. Read about it, find the tools, study the details and it can be done.

Usually easier to pay the money for someone with an alignment rack and the training.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Here's one type of do-it-yourself toe alignment gauge for sale on ebay. The description explains quite simply how basic the work is. In practice, however, you get a much better job with professional equipment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-Toe-A...458182?hash=item1f0a387486:g:CgsAAOSwgflany1O

Other settings can be done roughly with similar tools, like magnetic bubble levels and that sort of ancient shade-tree stuff.

----

After an afternoon of fiddling with rulers, strings and chalk you'll decide to have the job professionally done. Find a small alignment shop that knows their work. At least around here, the chain stores hire crackheads who monkey-hammer your stuff and have no idea what they're doing. Get it done right. Shop by price and you'll be needing new tires in a month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nalajr

Reaction score
So if I am understanding you all correctly, one or both of the original tie rod bushings is bad and the small collision I had with the curb just knocked it out of alignment and I can replace the tie rod bushings and it could be lined up by me well enough to get it to a garage that does it professionally?

Does the Upper Control Arm and it's front bushing cause any alignment problems if that front bushing is bad?

The bushing you all are talking about on the tie rod end is the one that sits behind the tire and it very easily touched when the wheel is off?

I'm not a mechanic at all. I don't know much about fixing cars and such but I am doing these projects when something happens myself and I get a lot of satisfaction at saving hundreds and being able to fix it myself.

Please help if you can. I would so much appreciate it.
Larry

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to get under there and look. Clearly the side you hit is the side that is messed up. Could be a bent tie rod end or it could be something else. Gotta look. If you’re not mechanically inclined, take to a trusted mechanic.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
replacing those bent parts yourself is exceedingly dangerous. take it to an alignment shop for an estimate which will show the parts that need replacement. If you are living in poverty and can't afford the repairs you surely can't afford the vehicle.