How hard is it to get my spark plugs out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgams

Reaction score
So I've read all the horror stories about various model expeditions and spark plugs. Mine's a 2011 5.4l. A couple weeks ago I had a coolant leak at the tee above the passenger side head...so while I had the hoses out of the way (I went ahead and replaced both) I decided to take the coils out and wipe coolant off and blow out the holes around the plugs.. Down that far, I figured it might be a good idea to pull a plug to see how worn it looked. Well, I was using a 12" socket wrench, and i'm not a big guy, but I was thinking it might break, I was going to put a breaker bar on it, and decided not to..didn't want to break it in half..should I try an impact on it when I decide to finally do a tune up? Or should I use a breaker bar? Was thinking maybe spray some kroil down there and let it sit overnight when I do it. Any advice is sincerely appreciated.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don’t break in later years, especially the 08+ design and most earlier ones have the updated plugs by now anyway. This is a lie perpetuated by shops and Chevy guys to rake owners over the coals, I hate reading how much people get charged for an easy job with plugs that don’t break. Your 11 won’t have any problems with the 1 piece plugs just go to town.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spraying penetrating oil won't do anything because they are still tight but just take them out and put anti-seize on the new ones and don't overtighten. I think the torque is 25 ft pounds on them.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A standard 3/8 drive ratchet and moderate hand strength is more than enough to remove them.

The problem was not that you couldn't break them free but as you turned them out the ends bottoms broke off and stayed in the head.

This is where cracking them slightly loose like only 1/8 turn or less and soaking with PB Blaster or carb cleaner would help loosen the carbon around thebotton protruding tip and help them come out cleanly without breaking.
I think you are past the build date of 2-piece plugs so you should be ok either way you do it.

Many have found that a 3/8 impact works best as it is not super strong but it pulsates and impacts and tends to take the out without breaking as many than if you just used a hand ratchet.

I go slow and soak and work them back and forth.

The first on I ever did while totally unaware of the issue I just did like any old plugs and broke 2 out or 8 off.
The Lisle tool took them right out.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A standard 3/8 drive ratchet and moderate hand strength is more than enough to remove them.

The problem was not that you couldn't break them free but as you turned them out the ends bottoms broke off and stayed in the head.

This is where cracking them slightly loose like only 1/8 turn or less and soaking with PB Blaster or carb cleaner would help loosen the carbon around thebotton protruding tip and help them come out cleanly without breaking.
I think you are past the build date of 2-piece plugs so you should be ok either way you do it.

Many have found that a 3/8 impact works best as it is not super strong but it pulsates and impacts and tends to take the out without breaking as many than if you just used a hand ratchet.

I go slow and soak and work them back and forth.

The first on I ever did while totally unaware of the issue I just did like any old plugs and broke 2 out or 8 off.
The Lisle tool took them right out.

Hey @TobyU he has a 2011. The plug breaking problem ended mid 08.

Just saying.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey @TobyU he has a 2011. The plug breaking problem ended mid 08.

Just saying.

I covered that. "I think you are past the build date of 2-piece plugs so you should be ok either way you do it."

I think around sept 09 is when they went to 1- piece but don't take my word on that..Just going from faint memory.

But unless his have been done with old 2-piece plugs (which is possible if they have ever been replaced) then he should be good to go.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have the plugs with the breaking problem but if you did Ford recommends removing them cold and by hand and others say use an impact when hot so if you have an 08 or earlier you might want to buy a removal tool in advance.

OP
OP
T

tgams

Reaction score
Thank everyone very much...I'm pretty sure they're the one piece plugs..just wanted to make sure going to town on em wouldn't break them off like what was in my 2000...they're much easier to get to on this engine as well. Thanks again!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the spark plugs are way easier to access on the 05+ 5.4 3V than older ones especially the back ones. My 2007 was a piece of cake to tune up.