How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I've shared in earlier posts, my '03 Expedition is about to hit 200,000 miles. I bought it new in '02 and it's been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It's been well maintained mechanically and I'm planning to keep it. I'm cleaning it up cosmetically now and am probably going to invest in new tires and shocks soon. But at some point, one has to wonder what the 2nd Gen's life expectancy is and therefore how much money should I invest in it.

So, I'm curious how many miles have other 2nd Gen owners have racked up on their Expeditions?

Mako

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 EB 5.4 2WD , 212k and no issues other than routine maintenance stuff. Ball joints, water pump (preventive maintenance...), fuel pump (bad check valve...), timing set and oil pump ( just preventive maintenance...). Bought new and nothing but Mobile One 10w-30 run through it.

bWJaVl.jpg

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 EB 5.4 4WD 217432mi when I parked it Tuesday night.

Owned just shy of a year, was well maintained and I've followed the same maintenance schedule the PO had. So far so good.

Tires and suspension are about 2 payments on a new one. I wouldnt hesitate investing a couple grand even w my miles.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 XLS (Flintstone model) - perfect for my use - Costco groceries. 19,200 miles. Bought new in 2005.

Fuel gage bellied up, but doesn't matter. Use trip mileage divided by 10 to determine time for fuel. Always keep level at
½ tank....... station fuel tank always shuts off confirming my arithmetic of about 10mpg divided into miles driven to determine
fuel need.

JQLgDsl.jpg

Last edited:

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
2003 Eddie Bauer still has original foam in DVD Headphones!! (And working remote)
P/O Just replaced tranny prior to me purchasing (less than 6 months ago)
New core support
New A/C Condensor

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

smith627

Reaction score
2004 XLT 5.4 2v w/Advance Trac 4x4 almost 266,000 miles.
Bought it in 2005 with 15,000 miles.
Best and most reliable vehicle we've ever had.
Other than tires, brakes, batteries & wiper blades, we have not had to do much of anything to it other than oil/fluid and filter changes.
Changed the serpentine belt for the first time at 247,000 just to make me feel better. It looked fine before and after I removed it.
Original engine, transmission, suspension, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, a/c system, etc.
Still running on seven of the original eight spark plugs/coil packs. Had a couple heater hoses replaced last year. No problems with any sensors or electrical devices.
Its always been garaged and mostly highway miles. No rust underneath due to always being in the South.
It has never leaked oil but strangely it has always used oil but has never shown any signs of exhaust smoke. I always checked the oil every couple weeks and add a few ounces to top it off.
Always used conventional 5w20 oil and Motorcraft filters.
Hope we can get to 300,000 before anything major goes wrong.
(KNOCK ON WOOD)

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
2004 XLT 5.4 2v w/Advance Trac 4x4 almost 266,000 miles.
Bought it in 2005 with 15,000 miles.
Best and most reliable vehicle we've ever had.
Other than tires, brakes, batteries & wiper blades, we have not had to do much of anything to it other than oil/fluid and filter changes.
Changed the serpentine belt for the first time at 247,000 just to make me feel better. It looked fine before and after I removed it.
Original engine, transmission, suspension, starter, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, power steering pump, a/c system, etc.
Still running on seven of the original eight spark plugs/coil packs. Had a couple heater hoses replaced last year. No problems with any sensors or electrical devices.
Its always been garaged and mostly highway miles. No rust underneath due to always being in the South.
It has never leaked oil but strangely it has always used oil but has never shown any signs of exhaust smoke. I always checked the oil every couple weeks and add a few ounces to top it off.
Always used conventional 5w20 oil and Motorcraft filters.
Hope we can get to 300,000 before anything major goes wrong.
(KNOCK ON WOOD)
Outstanding testament to your faithfulness maintaining your investment.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mako825

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 EB 5.4 4WD 217432mi when I parked it Tuesday night.

Owned just shy of a year, was well maintained and I've followed the same maintenance schedule the PO had. So far so good.

Tires and suspension are about 2 payments on a new one. I wouldnt hesitate investing a couple grand even w my miles.

Aspen03 - I agree. I think I was just looking for someone to confirm what I was already thinking. :) So, I went ahead and ordered 4 new KYB Strut-Plus shock assemblies and I'll put them on next weekend.

Mako

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the serpentine belt for the first time at 247,000

Belt lasted 247K ?.....may be a new track record. My Vettes eat belts at about 36K miles, and the wife's 2006
Mustang GT maintenance manual suggests a belt change between 60K-100K. It is also suggested that belts don't crack
anymore, they stretch.

We shall see.......

Last edited: