How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasscot

Reaction score
Texas - Over the years, I have tackled the same things you have except I haven't had problems with the radiator support, the transmission, alternator or starter. I fixed my leaking side windows and roof rack mounts with flowable silicone sealer. But will take a look at that Captain Tolley's if I have to re-visit it.
More detail: i tried to use the Tolley's first off but was way too runny and just poured through the gaps. It advises repeated sparing treatment but it continued to pour through so i switched to the silicone. It is far, far more 'searching' than the standard flowable silicone sealer. i think its different chemistry.

aa240sx

Reaction score
Original owner just trying to build up my post count here. Anyway, 2005 Limited with tow package. Completely reliable at 154K with the exception of the rust on the roof. I have a separate post documenting how I fixed it.

Anyway, I also just performed some heavy (to me) preventative maintenance to include;

brake bleed (I honestly think this was original brake fluid and it was super black)
brake master cylinder
water pump
thermostat
coolant hose upper
serpentine belt
coolant hose lower (not installed)
belt tensioner with tensioner pulley
coolant reservoir & reservoir cap (likely original coolant no record of me ever replacing this stuff)
distilled water 2 gallons
coolant hose connector gasket left/right
thermostat housing and seal
concentrated coolant 2 gallons
idler pulley smooth
idler pulley smooth
idler pulley grooved
Blend Door Actuator Right Rear Passenger
rear hatch glass repair & silicone spray

Also a couple years ago, brake pads and discs and replacing a fuel line that was causing a CEL (couldn't DIY this one though).

Also replaced both leather seat bottoms driver and passenger with perfect OEM replacements from Ebay.

Did have my leather guy redo the steering wheel as well.

Did replace the rear seat DVD internals. Sadly, couldn't find out with the Ford blue oval that pops up on the screen, so now the Lincoln logo comes up and causes a bit of a stir when new passengers are in the back...

Of course, the obligatory spark plugs every 30K and 2x oil changes with 5w synthetic motorcraft. She's done a ton of trips through california and even towed RV's nearly a dozen times, uber reliable.

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
Great post! Questions: Was the master cylinder failing or just a preemptive replacement? Ever had timing components replaced?

I’m at 40K on Autolite spark plugs and they’ve been great but it’s time to replace. I did all things timing including roller followers and lash adjusters at 100K. Both tensioner seals were compromised. Both phasers rattled. Two roller followers on passenger side were beginning to get sloppy. Guides were fine. It got a Melling M360 oil pump also. At 123K miles now. 2006 XLT 4WD. I bought it with 70K miles in 2012. Reasonably well maintained through the first 70K it seems, pampered since I got it. 5W-30 Mobil 1 every 5K or one year, whatever comes first.

aa240sx

Reaction score
So I'm the original owner of this and while I'm fairly handy, engine internals are definitely not something I would feel comfortable doing. So, unless there's specific a specific check engine light or it starts to 'sound really bad', I just plan to do the basic maintenance on her until the wheels fall off. I mean, I can handle a transmission replacement or intake manifold job, but if I have to do anything where engine timing is involved, I'm out.

As for the Master Cylinder, I changed it because I was trying to track down a spongy feel. I figured, since I was doing a brake flush and bleed, I may as well replace the cylinder to knock out two potential issues. Either way, the sponginess of the brakes were gone once I did this repair.

I do get a little nervous about all the bad rap these 5.4 tritons get, but I honestly feel it's more associated with the F150's, and lack of consistent oil changes (or any...) and driving behavior.

My use case is super simple. We own three other vehicles. Two of these are daily drivers, so the expedition is only used for long hauls/freeway and really weekends only. And it's been like this for nearly 20 years. I'm not gonna say we baby it, but it's mileage truly is mostly highway.

CJ Massey

Reaction score
03 XLT AWD 5.4 310,689 miles on it. Im third owner on it. I've had it 6yrs now. I've replaced alot of things on it. 2nd owner used a mechanic who loved liquid mechanic. In 19 replaced intake manifold, fuel pump assembly, thermostat, high pressure power steering hose, radiator hoses, plugs n coils, rear strut assembly, all 4 hubs, front cv joints, plus new rims n tires. just this year I've done exhaust manifold, cats, all 4 o2 sensors and new muffler. In 17 it had timing chains done. Im fixing to do front strut assembly, change out phasers, pray i havent thrown a rocker roller arm, change crank pulley, serpentine belt and ac clutch compressor. Overall great vehicle. I have a family of 8 and this thing is a tank. Still pulls and goes. I feel if I only spend say 2 grand a year to fix it and up keep. Still beats paying that payment every month. Especially since these new ones come standard with a v6 in it.

DJ04

Reaction score
2004 Expy 5.4 4x4 Eddie Bauer. 204100 miles (+/-) and lately nothing but problems. The PO was something of a fanatic; oil change every 2000 miles, had all three service books and hundreds of dollars of spare filters etc. which all came with the truck. I bought it with 191,000 (approx) on the clock and the only problems it has had are electrical ones, major ones which keep it dead. Had one problem fixed and luckily it pulled a UHaul trailer about 2000 miles from Cal to Oklahoma but since then it has been troubled electrically again; this time either bad generator or PCM. If I can get that all fixed I will hope that's the end of that. Glad to hear there are even higher mileage trucks out there which are doing fine.

MikeB65

Reaction score
2004 EB 5.4 2v 4WD. Getting close to 266k miles.

2nd owner. I bought it in 2013 with 142k after my original '04 Expy was totaled when I was T-boned.

The transmission was replaced at 218k about 6 years ago. The same tranny shop rebuilt the transfer case about 3 years ago.

The alternator has been replaced twice, the fuel pump also replaced twice. Outside of these just he usual normal wear and tear parts have been replaced. Only M1 5w-20 full synthetic since I've owned it.

kep5niner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
257,500 on the 03 EB. New (re-man'd) AER engine installed at 250,000 miles. Been through every write-up on the truck since I took possession last summer. A few minor details still working through. Mechanically, nearly perfect. Cosmetically, great shape. If I can just convince my wife that the truck's worth taking to my PDR guy, nearly perfect. Absolutely minimal rust and corrosion. CAPEX was $2k, but I've got a little over $10k in it since. For $12k all-in, it's an amazing top-of-the-line (for its day) full size SUV. Can't beat that.

I bought the EB just to be a second airport car, but I've really enjoyed driving it, and it has yet to be relegated to simply living at the airport. After the Magnaflow exhaust install, I've got half a mind to supercharge it ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes