How many miles on your 2nd Gen Ford Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy-IA

Reaction score
04 XLT, 5.4 3v. 4-wd

Just about 230,000+/-

The interior is still comfortable but externally it's getting bad up here in salt country... the rockers are totally gone, body mounts are pretty well on their last legs, lots of undercarriage rust and uses at least a quart of oil per 3,000 miles. I live about 2 miles off a road and the roads are mad of limestone gravel. The dust gets in everything and wears it out or holds moisture and rusts it out.

Recent fixes;
yesterday (done by me)- salvage yard drivers cv and actuator
last month (done by me)- 4 new powerstop disks and ceramic pads
last winter (done by ripoffs)- drivers unit bearing debacle- salvage yard replacement
last summer (done by me)- blend door motor front
two years ago (done by me)- salvage yard rear hatch glass hinges (caution don't force open a frozen glass hatch, the pot metal hinges freeze and won't move. -Learning experience-

Currently needs;
plugs changed (I'm not trying it!)
new exhaust (likely will never happen)

Love this truck! But starting to look for a slightly newer model. Or the same model with fewer miles.

texasscot

Reaction score
2003 5.4 Eddie B. 211,000 miles. Houston, TX

Shocks/struts, twice
Numerous coils
Plugs
Heater connection
Heater valve
Various vacuum hoses
PCV
Starter motor
Flex plate (used indy shop)
Driver side VCG
Inlet manifold
Engine mounts
Ball joints upper & lower
Tie rod ends
Seat cover bottoms
Heater blend motors in rear
Serpentine belt
Windshield washer tubing rodent damage.
Must be other stuff i've forgotten... Alternator, there ya go. Rotors 'n pads of course. And a few batteries...

About to do rear wheel bearings (tonight).

Best vehicle i've ever owned. Would buy another in a heartbeat. I do as much of my own wrenching as possible.
Now i list it all out it makes it sound like the story of the yard broom i've had for 25 years; it's had 3 new handles and 5 new brush heads.

Update!
223,000 miles.
I did all the wheel bearings. And recently:
Rear window glass hinges.
Another front ball joint.
Front sway bar links (again, which got rid of an annoying knocking).
Radiator replacement, it developed a 4” hair line crack in the plastic top.
Fuel tank leak fixed with epoxy - the front breather hose fitting had a small split.
New fuel pump.
Replaced fuel filter.
Replaced failed brake light switch.

Currently on the bench: Replacing the fuel pump relay that’s soldered into the main board in the fuse box. I hope this will fix the getting-more-frequent unpredictable stalling.

Further update!
The soldered fuel pump relay fix seems to have worked. Hallelujah.

I still love this vehicle! I also appreciate the huge help provided by other posters in this forum. I wish all well in this new year.
Graham

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been almost a year since the last update. Closing in on 231k. This year it got rotors and pads, air filter, fuel filter, a couple oil changes (another due next week), and weekly washes to keep it looking nice and in one piece, has rust and trying to keep the salt off. Other than that, same as last year. Planning a bit more maintenance in the summer but only to stay on top of things. I'd like fresh suspension when new tires go on. Should make it ride like new.

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
08 with 59,000. Replaced both headlights. One twice. Dam plastic.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
04 XLT 5.4 2v 4WD

I have 154k now. Bought with 149k. Replaced brakes and rotors. Replaced the pinion seal. Replaced Vacuum lines and intake manifold. I knew about most of these when I bought her, so I'm hoping to make it to 200k relatively repair free.

You will, I have the same truck with just over 200k. Keep the 5-20 oil clean and change the spark plugs if it wasn't done at least 50k miles ago. Change the tranny and transfer case oil too.

Loudpedition

Reaction score
04 eb 5.4 4x4.
New crate engine 37,500 miles
Body 175,000 miles
I got on trade for a landscape installation balance I was owed so with correct papers on the engine i agreed to take it for the 1,500.00 balance owed to my business!
Interior seats mainly front 2 had more cushion visible then leather
But when I drove it 24 miles home I could tell this one a damn good running truck
So I am putting parts on it and feel comfortable it will be very dependable as replace things they are more so for upgrades and tweak to my style more then in need of. But 8 months I've owned it driven only 2 weeks and I am doing front end soon shocks ball joints all of it. I have faith in it being good to me

texasscot

Reaction score
04 eb 5.4 4x4.
Body 175,000 miles
I got on trade for a landscape installation balance I was owed so with correct papers on the engine i agreed to take it for the 1,500.00 balance owed to my business!
But when I drove it 24 miles home I could tell this one a damn good running truck
So I am putting parts on it and feel comfortable it will be very dependable as replace things they are more so for upgrades and tweak to my style more then in need of. But 8 months I've owned it driven only 2 weeks and I am doing front end soon shocks ball joints all of it. I have faith in it being good to me

This is a great deal, well done. These trucks are fairly easy to work on and parts are plentiful and cheap.
Just in case i need to do that, I'm interested in what engine was put in. Can you provide details?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
04 eb 5.4 4x4.
Body 175,000 miles

You can get replacement seat cover bottoms on eBay pretty reasonable, or from The Seat Shop for a little more (new foam is also available...).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Ford-Expedition-Eddie-Bauer-NBX-5-4L-Driver-Bottom-Vinyl-Seat-Cover-Tan/264474843338?fits=Year:2004|Model:Expedition|Submodel:Eddie+Bauer|Engine+-+Liter_Display:5.4L|Make:Ford&hash=item3d93edd8ca:g:xcoAAOSw7CddiDSX

https://www.theseatshop.com/2004-fo...groupIds=13,7042&seatRowId=6&seatPositionId=9

Loudpedition

Reaction score
Thanks hamsfield. I looked at those on Ebay but I saw a company in west palm beach doing (leather... which to melooked like work grade good quality vinyl in pics) for 150.00 a seat for Reskins even 2 tone and custom.

Front seats I put nice seat covers on already. so finance situation says front end ball joints and tie rods ext will be before seats but thanks for sharing