How many owners out there with no major issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAngryOgre

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2021 XLT 4x4 w/ 202A & stealth packages. It’s my DD With 13K miles. Upgraded the sway bars and about to install the Bilsteins. No issues to date although I am a rattle nut. Currently have the sunroof rattle going on which is working my last nerve. This is my 2nd Expy (#1 was a 2000) and am very pleased with it.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Limited Max 4x4 around 43k miles

Been in and out of dealer pretty much since we got it:

Mirrors popping computer flash
Front Strut replaced
Rear differential grinding and/or locking up
Front left wheel bearing
Cam phaser re-flash (cam phasers need replaced in my opinion, dealer says ops okay)
Transmission valve control body replaced due to hard (harsh) downshifting
Transmission seal to transfer case x2 both times nearly stranded in the mountains (currently at different, hopefully better dealer than first time)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Probably going to trade this in and hope for better luck with a '21 or '22.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2008 EL expedition, 196K miles and no real issues, had one coolant leak at a plastic T-piece at 110K miles and the driver door step stopped working at 120K (less than $250 to fix both issues), nothing else except normal wear and tear (brake pads, oil & filters, Tyres, etc). Very happy with the beast, he has pulled trailers all over the USA and works perfectly.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Platinum shorty. 4X4 HD Tow.

Where to begin….o_O
OK, first and foremost, I LOVE THIS TRUCK.
In my opinion, they are worth taking a chance on.
I just hope you have better luck than I. :rotflmao:

As I type this, my girl is on a lift at my local dealer with most of her drivetrain guts strewn out around her.
And she’s been there for 4 weeks.

If you buy one of these impressive machines, and DON‘T get a Ford premium extended warranty out to at least 125,000 miles ( or as long as you intend to own it) then you better start putting money away in a savings account.

Over the last couple of years I have had small issues, and large issues. If you have read about it on this forum—I have probably had it.
Sunroof, side mirrors, lift gate sensor, massage seats, transmission, turbos, cam phasers, rear entertainment, transmission, front differential, running boards, water pump, cam phasers, transmission, coolant leak at turbos. I am sure I am forgetting some.

And no, I didn’t accidentally type cam phasers, and transmission, multiple times…. :(

I still maintain that this truck is the best combination of long-trip luxury yacht, towing brute, and stout off-road beast that money can buy. And even that will not stop me from selling mine when the Ford dealer gives it back to me (whenever that is).

I have finally come to the realization that the engine and drivetrain repetitive problems are just not going to go away. Not with mine. And not with a lot of others I have known on this site over the last couple years. That is not something I can put up with. Even with mine being covered by warranty—which will eventually run out?

If I could have this vehicle, with an old school V-8 and a robust old school drivetrain? I would probably keep it a long time. Are you listening Ford? As it is, I’m stuck driving a loaner Ford Edge, for a month now, as I go around test-driving what I want to replace my Expy with.

And it ****** me off that there really aren’t any good options. I may end up with an older Sequoia… or maybe even an old Excursion diesel.
The modern tech is great, and I love the tech in my Expy. I just don’t want a 24-speed ”smart” transmission, or boosted V-6, or V-8 that randomly shuts down some cylinders as you drive, or engines that start/stop at every light…. Basically any of the tree-hugging, happy horsesh!t that manufacturers are getting shoved down their throat to meet mpg requirements set by the federal government.

Really, I think Ford is missing an opportunity. There is a very real (and growing ) market for a large 3 row SUV built on a 3/4 ton truck platform. If they made an SUV version of their F-250, I would sign up today. Modern tech, meets old school chassis and diesel drivetrain. Rugged, but modern and comfortable for cross-country towing.

Custom Autos by Tim, anyone? :rocking:

mtlguido

Reaction score
2019 XLT 4x4 with 202A, HD towing etc. no pan roof with 15000 miles, replaced one front strut as it was leaking, other than that all good here and Happy with SUV.
I tow a 6000# boat with it, no problems at all.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Almost 3K miles and it hasn't blown up yet!!

At the rate we're going, people may accept 10k as a reasonable lifespan on their vehicles. I notice the bar keeps dropping and most people keep buying another anyway.