How much brake pad left for the rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve owned and worked on a few cars that normally wear the rears faster than the fronts but it’s rare. One thing I noticed is the 2018 and up Expeditions have only one rear brake pad offered from Ford and the pad contact area is very small. I switched to the Hawk pads that have a larger area so I’m wondering how the wear rate will be but don’t have enough miles on them yet to tell. Some of the F150’s with heavier tow packages do get a pad with more contact area but seems the Expedition asks a lot of its rear pads.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I blew through my rear pads in less than 24k miles, but I do tow a 7500 lb boat with it, too. I ended up going with the Bosch quiet cast ceramics for replacements. Only have about 2k miles on them so far, but they seem to be quiet and relatively low dust compared to the factory originals. Time will tell.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ceramics are the way to go, no brake dust. Had E250 vans that wore out the rear brakes before the fronts, could be the brake bias to prevent nose diving of front end under hard braking.

Eyecando

Reaction score
How often do you use the parking brake? Maybe they don't always release properly.

I just went through replacing rear brakes on a 2019 Nissan Rouge that had low mileage. The owner used his electronic parking brake every time he stopped.

OP
OP
K

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Updates: I got my rear Motorcraft pads from Rock Auto and they are made in Italy. Changing out was easy. You need to put the EPB in maintenance mode by pushing the parking brake and hold the gas pedal, turn on to power mode only Just remove one caliber top bolt with 10mm socket and 17mm wrench, swing down the caliber, remove the pads and transfer the hardware shim kit over. I reused the bolt with blue locktite since it's still new. The rear pad kit comes with 4 new bolts. Took me around 45 minutes to get everything done.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frist weekend after purchase, installed PowerStop Z23 Sport Pads all around + drilled & slotted rotors in front. Rear PowerStop pads were considerably larger than the Ford pads.
Factory Ford pads, as installed on my new Expy, were very thin, straight from the dealership, FYI.

PowerStop.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze