How often do you swap out your brake rotors when doing pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drop all fluids every 3 years which is around 30,000 mi for me.

All drive fluids including tranny, coolant, brake, ps, if it’s liquid it’s dropped.
I specifically mentioned this 3 year thing earlier.
Complete overkill and jo proof that it will give any better results or longer life or fewer repairs than not doing it.
It is also not what the manufacturer recommends for those who go by that stuff.
But if it makes you feel better then it works for you.

Everytime someone says "I do all this and I've never had a problem"
I can show you 50 cars that have never had the coolant changed or trans or axle fluids and also never had a problem.

Very similar to how the country has conditioned to believe we were supposed to change oil every 3mo or 3k.
We have scientifically proven that with the oils we are running today(and for the past 20 years) that it is way before the time the oil needs to be changed.

People will still argue that 3k or 3500 is needed or so much better because old habits are hard to break.
I hate change and am a stick in the mud so I fully get it, support it, and concrete it into the ground. Lol

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do neither
Yes. Neither until you have pulsating pedal or you grind a pad backing plate into one for days.
Or until they rust away or start to separate into layers on the edges etc.

By the end or 2nd or 3rd set of front pads it will be time to replace them and they will be too thin to turn when you micrometer them.